• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS [M -24] B.S. - Mechanical Engineering w/ E.I.T.

So currently I am really considering a swap over to the military side and developing my career. To preface my experience and what my strong suits are I'd like to point out that I do not like design work (CAD / AutoDesk, Revit); I like to do technical related tasks such as the theoretical concepts of a controls system or an ANSYS simulation of a part or assembly. Moving along with what I stated I foresee my future down the line as either riding it out with the DoD/Navy or going back on the civilian side once my commission is up and working for the big name defense contractors around the U.S.

Preface to Story Time: I pour my heart out in this post.

As it stands currently, I have graduated from NYU-Tandon w/ a degree in Mechanical Engineering in May of 2020 (middle of covid) and I had trouble finding a job since then. When 2021 began I got a job in a local plumbing shop where I created a few drawings, did some technical calculations and basic entry level tasks... it wasn't long before I wanted out of that so I looked elsewhere. During this time I took it upon myself to get a whole plethora of licenses: I got an OSHA 30 SST License, S-12 Sprinkler System License, F-01 Fire Guard License, Notary Public License, & Engineer In Training (EIT) License.
Soon after, I stumbled upon a position with NYU (go figure); as a Junior Project Manager in August of last year where I do boring mundane tasks like answer emails, schedule meetings, call contractors with no technical work involved. I took the opportunity because the office has a PE on staff that stated he will sign off on my experience under him.

If you didn't already tell I want to become a PE myself in the near future - hence the need for the technical experience I keep mentioning.

So here I am writing this - still in this boring civilian position as a PM living with my parents because it seems that NY doesn't have what I am interested in. You may ask: oh why don't you just leave and go elsewhere? I'll tell you why - my job search & experience has been horrible to put it bluntly. Every time a job I am interested in opens up and I think I would be a good fit I always get shut down and get a regret to inform you - you aren't being considered email. Additionally my options are limited since I am NY bound (very family oriented-my family roots are Greek so we are close-knit) and I do not stand out at the moment for these defense contractors and "cool" engineering companies. Up to now, truthfully my life has been boring and I do not want to relocate entirely commit to that and be in same boat. I was always the "odd one" out and didn't really develop socially throughout my upbringing and I was extremely sheltered by my parents due to this - I never developed a close social ring of friends. I want friends that I can keep life-long and what better way than with a brotherhood.

I feel like a massive change in my lifestyle and career path is warranted right now based on what I mentioned above.

Moving along with this story: I applied to a Navy Officer Program back in June of last year and I got a call from a recruiter about a month back and I had a lot of self-reflection since then and really thought about it. Yesterday I had an appointment with my OR and I took the OAR with a score of 48 - which qualifies me for CEC and Surface Warfare, as well as some Logistics program I forgot the name of. I filled the forms out yesterday and I am in the next step which is getting forms over to MEPS, recommendation letters, & scheduling interview. The more I think about it the more I think a CEC officer position would be what its in my future based on what we discussed yesterday. I can : get the PE experience, get leadership experience, grow up & leave my family. Its bold, its courageous, its a commitment, but I think its necessary.

Since about September (a month in to the new job as a PM mentioned above) I have developed a really good sense of self-discipline and fitness for myself. I wanted to develop myself confidence wise and physically so I put it upon myself to join a gym and get a positive outlook and just change my headspace as a whole on life because up to now its been negative (my father would always would put me and my siblings down and say oh you can't do that or you won't do that etc...). I wake up daily at 5:00 AM (willingly) and get a good strength workout in; come back have breakfast and get ready for work to start my day (been very strict on this missing only 2-4 days since then because I forgot to change my alarm from my rest day). Also, I cook for the week on Sundays and portion my meals for the work week.

Additionally; I would say I am of good moral conduct having been brought up with Greek Orthodox teachings and close-knit family values. My record is clean "I'm as clean as a whistle".

Let me know if you can relate to any of this, offer any assistance, offer any contacts, or anything related to what I mentioned above. Anything and everything is welcome. I would love to get feedback from CEC's with similar goals to my own and hear your story or experience.
Also: anyone that went through OCS please tell me your experience and what you did while there.

On second thought: I feel like this post can actually be my essay to submit with a few edits and taking out specifics...

It's time I take the reigns and steer my career where I want it to go I feel. Up to now I'm living my Dad's life - listening and following everything he tells me to do...

TLDR: Recent grad with B.S. in Mechanical Engineering w/ an E.I.T. wanting a major career shift. Navy-CEC Officer seems to fit my goals so I am really considering it.

Last edited:

TLC90

I was in sort of a similar dilemma finding a job after getting a bachelor's in engineering. You need to graduate during an internship to transition to a full time position. A 4.0 from Harvard sometimes isn't even enough to get your resume in front of the hiring manager.

The other harsh truth about engineering is, only the most senior people get to do the fun stuff. Everyone new starts off doing clerical work or reviewing the work of someone above them. The real chances of doing analytical work is through a graduate program or at a small startup company.

I was in sort of a similar dilemma finding a job after getting a bachelor's in engineering. You need to graduate during an internship to transition to a full time position. A 4.0 from Harvard sometimes isn't even enough to get your resume in front of the hiring manager.

The other harsh truth about engineering is, only the most senior people get to do the fun stuff. Everyone new starts off doing clerical work or reviewing the work of someone above them. The real chances of doing analytical work is through a graduate program or at a small startup company.
Thanks for your response. That is exactly how I feel; and I feel this will set me apart like nothing else can and continue to allow growth in my career.

vbts13

I also know how you feel to a degree. I graduated in 2020 with a computer science degree and landed a job at a small company as a software engineer. Often times I find myself begging for meaningful work to do lol. That's personally why I am applying for SNA, I want to explore a more fun career path and travel the world. While I myself am not in the Navy (yet hopefully), my dad is a retired naval officer and has tons of officer friends. Not one of them has regretted becoming a naval officer. Plus with your degree being valuable, if you join and don't like it, you can get out once your contract is up and fall back on your degree for another good job

I also know how you feel to a degree. I graduated in 2020 with a computer science degree and landed a job at a small company as a software engineer. Often times I find myself begging for meaningful work to do lol. That's personally why I am applying for SNA, I want to explore a more fun career path and travel the world. While I myself am not in the Navy (yet hopefully), my dad is a retired naval officer and has tons of officer friends. Not one of them has regretted becoming a naval officer. Plus with your degree being valuable, if you join and don't like it, you can get out once your contract is up and fall back on your degree for another good job
Appreciate your response and insight. I too have a naval connection and a cousin of mine who have/are serving. I spoke with both and they are giving me the green light to go through with it. They say its the best decision they have ever made in their lives.

A retired close family-friend of my family has a very powerful story:
He came here from Greece and eventually became a citizen and he had no idea what he wanted to do with his life. So my grandfather being the father to him that he couldn't have since he left his family in Greece for better along with a few family members brought him to sign up in the navy. Not only did he work his way up from sailor/seaman status but he went on to climb the ranks all the way up to E-9 - Master Chief Petty Officer(the highest you can without a college education - of which never went on to partake in). It brought a tear to my eye when he said you invest in the navy and they will invest in you... He concluded with "This is by far the best decision I made; who knows what I'd be doing right now if not this".
He stated he'd vouch for me and agrees with my reasoning/what I think I will get out of this. Same situation with my cousin who is a Junior Lieutenant already.

Jacksa71

"E-9 - Master Chief Petty Officer(the highest you can without a college education"
Definitely no true just so you know. There are other commissioning programs for enlisted that does not require a degree but it does help with getting selected.

exNavyOffRec

"E-9 - Master Chief Petty Officer(the highest you can without a college education"
Definitely no true just so you know. There are other commissioning programs for enlisted that does not require a degree but it does help with getting selected.
Yep, I know several LDO's that retired up to and including Commander that had nothing more than a HS diploma, I know more warrants that retired that had the same thing.

ccrutchfield

Hey there,

As I read through your post, I noticed that you like doing more technical work in place of the boring administrative tasks. You may want to look into becoming a USCG licensed marine engineer if you aren't dead-set on the military route. Currently, I am a 3rd assistant engineer on a tanker vessel moving fuel for the military all around Japan, Korea, and any other place in the east pacific where a US base may be. So far I have done a lot of troubleshooting on both mechanical and electrical systems. Maintenance on diesel generators, diesel propulsion engines, pumps, motors, watermakers, sewage plants, and more. If not for my desire to fly, I would have stayed in this career path as it allows me to travel the world, meet and work alongside amazing people and apply all of the theoretical and practical skills I learned in the classroom at my university (I'm also a ME grad). The marine engineers union (MEBA) that I am a part of also offers shoreside opportunities for engineers where they can develop other skills or professions and even become PEs. I know several people who sailed out at sea to gain experience and then settled back home to do something different, start a family etc.

I don't want to make a long post including more info if you're not interested. However, if you are, feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to tell you more and discuss possible avenues you can take to joining the maritime industry. (The pay is also very good too)

cecseabee

Definitely consider the CEC, especially with your MechE degree and having an EIT. It will open up a lot of doors in the future as the PE is essential to get O-4 in the CEC. I just got selected for the CEC as a reservist so feel free to DM me if you have any questions about the app process. Going through OCS is different but there are many similarities. But if you are looking for ship time SWO will for sure be more up your alley.

BB Poison

Contributor
No advice to offer, just empathy. I graduated in December 2020 with an aerospace engineering degree and it took me nine months to find a (less-than-stellar) job. No real challenge or technical work, just clerical and trying to figure out how to fill 40 hours a week. Pursuing a career in Navy aviation has been my path forward, a real challenge to overcome. CEC might be yours.

taxi1

pilot
The other harsh truth about engineering is, only the most senior people get to do the fun stuff. Everyone new starts off doing clerical work or reviewing the work of someone above them.
That’s not true. I have 30-some engineers working for me directly, almost 800 at our site, and we throw our junior engineers right into the weeds of technical work.

Best junior job is to be connected with testing. Gets you close to operating hardware sooner than later.

Agree with you on the small company angle.