• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lynch Syndrome

wishtoserve

Hi all,

I'm hoping to apply for a commission via OTS to become an Air Force pilot but have a genetic condition called Lynch Syndrome. Basically, it puts you at a higher risk for cancer, particularly colon cancer. I have had two colonoscopies and never had a trace of colon cancer, and it's possible I'll never have any problems. I've done some research online, and it looks like the military disqualifies anyone with this condition from serving, whether you're applying to become a pilot or not. I also looked into the AF's flight physical, and it looks like flight physicals conform to FAA guidance (correct me if I'm wrong); I found this on the FAA's website:

High Risk features for FAA purposes include the following. These DO NOT CACI qualify:
  • Lynch syndrome;

I have several questions:
  1. Is it possible that I could receive a medical waiver for Lynch Syndrome to become an AF pilot?
  2. Has anyone served as a military pilot, having been diagnosed with Lynch Syndrome before entering military service?
Thank you in advance for any insight.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
How would you know you have this condition and - why report it or even worry about it? Interwebs says no real immediate threat to health. Healthy otherwise? Keep to yourself and live life and "do you".

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How would you know you have this condition and - why report it or even worry about it? Interwebs says no real immediate threat to health. Healthy otherwise? Keep to yourself and live life and "do you".
That’s not going to work if it’s anywhere in a medical record. I assume it must’ve been diagnosed by a doctor at some point.

exNavyOffRec

1. Like has been said this is a USN forum.
2. USAF pilot spots via OTS are very rare to begin with.
3. It looks like you have answered your own question "it looks like the military disqualifies anyone with this condition from serving". Why would they waiver a condition for a program they have more than enough people lined up for that don't need waivers.