• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lowering my 1.5 mile time.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuSnake

Hey guys, I have a PRT coming up in March. My run time is at or just below 11 min right now and I would like to get it down to 10:30 or 10. My question, what is the best "tactic" in lowering my run time. I can usually run miles on end with no problem, so should I just concentrate on running a short distance faster or use a combination of them both. Thanks, later.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."
- Jimi Hendrix

aslam

I have had problems getting my PRT run time down. The best I can tell you from experience and from others advice is to do fartlek/sprint training. Run 400m fast then jog 400m and repeat something like this for a few miles. Probably no more than 3.

I'm like you where I can run a slower pace 9:00-9:30 for a long time, but I can't sustain a faster 7:00 pace for mile and a half.

ASLAM.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What works the best for me was to do alternating runs:
Every other day run long distance and on the other days run short fast distances. This worked well for me. I was running around a 12:00 1.5 and got it down to 10:45 over about a two month period. It is also important to have good shoes and take a day (or two) off every once in a while. But the best advice is to run everyday. It's really the only way to get good at it.
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

Hudson

My advice, for what it is worth.
If you are looking for a specific time, pace your self. If want to run a ten minute 1 1/2 mile you need to run around 1:40 a lap. shoot for 1:30 and try to sustain it. Also know that it is going to hurt if you are not used to it. Try to put it out of your mind and run through the hurt. When I was in Army Basic Training the Drills would screem out if you aint' pukin' when you cross this finish line you aint' tryin'. If you are already running a lot then it sounds like you need to work on speed. Pushing your self as fast as you can as often as you can will help. If you can have your recruter yell/shout words of "encouragement" to you as you run. I had a chief time me on mine and he was very "encouraging". I did mine at a local school. There was a middle school wrestling match going on at the same time. You should have seen the look on their faces when the chief was screeming at me to run faster. Some of them cheered when it was over. Quite a lot of fun. I almost puked. I think I could have gone faster
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.