• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Low GPA, Strong OAR/Work experience

cjsmyly

I am currently a senior in college and I am wanting to try for a commission in SWO.

Major: Criminal Justice
GPA: 2.8 (I have been making close to 4.0 my last few semesters, I messed around and really set myself behind my first few years from working too much) should be around a 3.0 when I graduate
OAR: 59 on first try, I know I can study and do better
Work experience: Was a valet manager at a Toyota dealership for a few years, currently doing an internship with the local police department, internship with US Marshal Service in the fall

I know this site gets bombarded with “what are my chances” threads, I just want to know how much a strong OAR and work experience counters a poor gpa. I have also seen somewhere that a lower gpa from someone that has worked through college (ex. 2.8) is looked at the same as a 3.2~ from someone who did not work. If anyone has any recommendations or feedback I would greatly appreciate it.

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
I am currently a senior in college and I am wanting to try for a commission in SWO.

Major: Criminal Justice
GPA: 2.8 (I have been making close to 4.0 my last few semesters, I messed around and really set myself behind my first few years from working too much) should be around a 3.0 when I graduate
OAR: 59 on first try, I know I can study and do better
Work experience: Was a valet manager at a Toyota dealership for a few years, currently doing an internship with the local police department, internship with US Marshal Service in the fall

I know this site gets bombarded with “what are my chances” threads, I just want to know how much a strong OAR and work experience counters a poor gpa. I have also seen somewhere that a lower gpa from someone that has worked through college (ex. 2.8) is looked at the same as a 3.2~ from someone who did not work. If anyone has any recommendations or feedback I would greatly appreciate
Shoot your shot. You have a qualifying OAR well above the minimum, your gpa may be low it still meets the “minimum standards” the worst that can happen is you get a “professional no” and you try again. Have some strong letters of recommendations, articulate why you desire to be a SWO and a Naval Officer and submit your package.

cjsmyly

Shoot your shot. You have a qualifying OAR well above the minimum, your gpa may be low it still meets the “minimum standards” the worst that can happen is you get a “professional no” and you try again. Have some strong letters of recommendations, articulate why you desire to be a SWO and a Naval Officer and submit your package.

Awesome, I appreciate the feedback. For letters of recommendation, do they need to be from just military service members? Or can other professionals I have worked under write them for me (ex. The police chief I worked for)?

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I know this site gets bombarded with “what are my chances” threads,

Ok, great... so post there.
I just want to know how much a strong OAR and work experience counters a poor gpa
Work experience comes into play for reserve (i.e. direct commission boards), not active duty/OCS boards. While I'm sure past jobs have shaped the way you are now, a high/great GPA and high/great OAR are the two big components you need in order to be competitive for SWO.

While you're at it, search current/previous SWO boards to rack and stack yourself against others who have applied and been selected. That will help you out the most...

Your GPA is a bit low, but it's not terrible, and there is clear evidence of improvement with you getting 4.0s the last few semesters. I'd be sure to explain why your GPA was so low initially in your motivational statement and stress how you've managed to improve. Your OAR is pretty good so that should help as well. I don't think your work experience will make too much of a difference.

cjsmyly

Ok, great... so post there.

Work experience comes into play for reserve (i.e. direct commission boards), not active duty/OCS boards. While I'm sure past jobs have shaped the way you are now, a high/great GPA and high/great OAR are the two big components you need in order to be competitive for SWO.

While you're at it, search current/previous SWO boards to rack and stack yourself against others who have applied and been selected. That will help you out the most...
Apologies I’m new to this site, I appreciate your help.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Concur with everyone else. Submit your package, and if you don’t get picked up- retake the OAR and resubmit. Best of luck.