• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Loss of Flight Pay?

Lfreedom0508

pilot
I've been med-down for a little over a year due to some issues with vertigo. When I met with my flight surgeon in Feb he never mentioned that it would have any affect on my flight pay or convey a reason to be concerned as I'm on shore duty. As of March, I'm no longer receiving flight pay. Does this happen when you're med down for too long? Due to Covid, I'm having a hard time reaching anyone that can look into this right now, but it's obviously concerning to lose over $800/month.

taxi1

pilot
Sorry to hear that. Had a guy go through similar. After a year of NPQ they can take you off status. Check out the 3710.7 latest version, they talk about it. Googling...

Note
Personnel NPQ for flight will normally continue to receive aviation career incentive pay (ACIP) for up to 365 days from the date of incapacitation. Final determination on ACIP eligibility resides with BUPERS/CMC and the Navy Pay and Personnel Procedures Manual (PAYPERSMAN)

Lfreedom0508

pilot
Well that's infuriating. I've been signed off by PT for the vertigo for 8 weeks, but my flight surgeon is on terminal leave. I was planning to bring in the paperwork when we go back to work, but now it appears I've just been screwed out of $2400. I'll look up the info in 3710. Thank you!

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I would imagine at some point, with the right paperwork, you can get back pay for the time you were declared "fit". Doesn't help you now, but generally things can be made right... eventually.

Lfreedom0508

pilot
I would imagine at some point, with the right paperwork, you can get back pay for the time you were declared "fit". Doesn't help you now, but generally things can be made right... eventually.
Thank you. Working the clinic channels now. Hopefully I can get in touch with the new flight Doc and get them working on the paperwork. Ugh.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is this a "gate" problem? Not sure where you are in your career, but if you missed your required gates, that would be another reason for losing flight pay.

From OPNAVINST 7220.18
"ASED after 2 October 1985. An officer must have performed at least 8 years of operational flying (96 MOF) within the first 12 years of aviation service for entitlement to continuous ACIP until the next gate at 18 years of aviation service. An officer must have performed at least 120 MOF within the first 18 years of aviation service for entitlement to continuous ACIP through 22 years of aviation service. An officer who has performed at least 144 MOF within the first 18 years of aviation service is entitled to continuous ACIP through 25 years of aviation service."

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Is this a "gate" problem? Not sure where you are in your career, but if you missed your required gates, that would be another reason for losing flight pay.

From OPNAVINST 7220.18
"ASED after 2 October 1985. An officer must have performed at least 8 years of operational flying (96 MOF) within the first 12 years of aviation service for entitlement to continuous ACIP until the next gate at 18 years of aviation service. An officer must have performed at least 120 MOF within the first 18 years of aviation service for entitlement to continuous ACIP through 22 years of aviation service. An officer who has performed at least 144 MOF within the first 18 years of aviation service is entitled to continuous ACIP through 25 years of aviation service."

Interesting. That was not my understanding of gates......I thought you had to actually be flying at said gate to qualify. Guess I am now officially good until 25 years

JTS11

pilot
Contributor

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
You might be mixing it up with something else, that is when you are on DIFOPS orders but not flying enough (don't make your 100 hours and/or your 12 night hours that FY) and your ISIC has to endorse your letter of shame to please let you keep your flight pay coming.

But yeah, if you meet each gate in the 3710 then you basically get to keep your flight pay until the next gate.

It's good to be aware that both things exist, if not for yourself someday down the road then for someone else, if and when the time comes to go searching for what to do about it and how to know you found the right reference when you think you've found the answer.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Interesting. That was not my understanding of gates......I thought you had to actually be flying at said gate to qualify. Guess I am now officially good until 25 years
I'm fuzzy on the details these days but you don't need to be flying, you just need orders in a flying status to continue to get flight pay. As a Mini Boss my orders allowed me to keep getting flight pay and was hitting gates. A buddy was on ESG staff and was DIFDEN and it totally screwed up his gates and flight pay status.

Lfreedom0508

pilot
Updating for anyone that looks this up later:
NAMI granted me waivers for the medical issues I had and therefore backdated my upchit to the date of my physical. My flight pay has been restored and I will be back-paid for the months I lost it. Thank you to everyone that gave advice. Bit of a headache (my own fault) but it worked out.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NAMI granted me waivers for the medical issues I had and therefore backdated my upchit to the date of my physical. My flight pay has been restored and I will be back-paid for the months I lost it. Thank you to everyone that gave advice. Bit of a headache (my own fault) but it worked out.

Way to hang in there!!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Congrats. Went through a similar issue about 11 years ago now. They forgot to turn my flight pay back on when NAMI gave me the all clear. That little bump of back pay was nice.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Congrats. Went through a similar issue about 11 years ago now. They forgot to turn my flight pay back on when NAMI gave me the all clear. That little bump of back pay was nice.
One of our NFOs never got their flight pay from day one, and didn't even know they were entitled to it until midway through their fleet deployment... That was a nice back pay bump haha

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
One of our NFOs never got their flight pay from day one, and didn't even know they were entitled to it until midway through their fleet deployment... That was a nice back pay bump haha

Before flight school, I was TAD at USNA Admissions and a USMC 2ndLt was there with us. Maybe three or four months after graduation, he tells our USMC Captain in charge of us that he's out of money and isn't sure where to go to get it fixed. "What do you mean, did you take out a big car loan or something?" "No sir. I haven't been paid yet. I figured at some point, someone would have turned on my pay thinking there was a delay after graduating, but I can't wait any longer." "Whaaaaaat?! Let's get you to Quantico TODAY!" Now that was a sweet payday too.