• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for some outside insight for an aspiring aviator.

Spencer97

All,

First off, thank you for your time.

Second, some background on me is that I am active duty enlisted air force serving as an E-5. I have about 1.5 years left in my six year contract. Ever since I joined I wanted to fly. I'll be done with my degree in March of 2021 and scored pretty well on the pilot portion of my Air Force officer testing.

What brings me here? I'll be honest, aviator is the driving force behind this, not necessarily limiting myself to one branch.

I heard that the Navy is accepting and sending officers through even during covid-19 while the AF is but at a 5-10% selection.

I'm only 23 but I know for a career as a military pilot, the younger the better.

Is the Navy looking ok as far as a need for pilots goes? I would have to take their version of the officer test obviously. I have about 7 hours in the sky towards my PPL. Basically trying to make a decision if I want to go the condition release route and apply to OCS or take a risk and add a couple years to my AF contract with hopes of getting picked up.

Anyone had to make a similar decision like this? Would appreciate any thoughts or insight.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If things are moving along faster in the Navy, why not make a run at Navy. If that doesn't pan out then apply USAF? Maybe things will be looking brighter and moving quicker over there by then.

Spencer97

If things are moving along faster in the Navy, why not make a run at Navy. If that doesn't pan out then apply USAF? Maybe things will be looking brighter and moving quicker over there by then.
The only con I can think of is not getting pushed for AF anymore after condition release is routed through all of command.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
The only con I can think of is not getting pushed for AF anymore after condition release is routed through all of command.
I've been in your position, USAF vet from a 4 year contract, Army Support, got out March 2019. I got out for the express purpose of pursuing my flying career. If that is your driving force, you need to weigh that against where you are now. Is it worth staying in the USAF to apply to a USAF pilot slot with an at most 15% selection rate in a career you may or may not like? Is it worth the time spent in the military while applying when you could be pursuing your dream full-time? For me I had to pursue that dream because I couldn't while I was in. This is something only you can answer.

Age probably isn't as big a factor as you think, the average age on the boards (according to our Excel sheets) this year was around 25-26.

Every branch is hurting for pilots right now (although less than what they were one or two years ago from what it seems like).

Understand if you add years to your contract, the AF acceptance rate will remain low. Is it a risk to get out and apply somewhere else? Sure. But at least you could be applying to other branches with significantly higher acceptance rates. Or at a minimum you could stay in the AF and apply to the Navy, maybe that's a middle ground. Everything has pros and cons.

I scored 98 Pilot, 98 CSO, 95 ABM. USAF turned me down because of my GPA... A little ridiculous if you ask me. That made me question whether I would have liked to be in a community that turns down candidates with scores like that based on a single criteria. Everything I've heard and read about the Navy and experienced in the recruiting process so far has been great.

Don't compromise and stay somewhere you don't want to be for the CHANCE at getting something that isn't guaranteed. Make decisions that propel you toward your goal. I did, and I wouldn't have changed anything.

Getting a conditional release from the IRR was a quick and painless process. Had a release in less than two weeks, and I've requested two of them over the past year. Not a problem at all.

Spencer97

I've been in your position, USAF vet from a 4 year contract, Army Support, got out March 2019. I got out for the express purpose of pursuing my flying career. If that is your driving force, you need to weigh that against where you are now. Is it worth staying in the USAF to apply to a USAF pilot slot with an at most 15% selection rate in a career you may or may not like? Is it worth the time spent in the military while applying when you could be pursuing your dream full-time? For me I had to pursue that dream because I couldn't while I was in. This is something only you can answer.

Age probably isn't as big a factor as you think, the average age on the boards (according to our Excel sheets) this year was around 25-26.

Every branch is hurting for pilots right now (although less than what they were one or two years ago from what it seems like).

Understand if you add years to your contract, the AF acceptance rate will remain low. Is it a risk to get out and apply somewhere else? Sure. But at least you could be applying to other branches with significantly higher acceptance rates. Or at a minimum you could stay in the AF and apply to the Navy, maybe that's a middle ground. Everything has pros and cons.

I scored 98 Pilot, 98 CSO, 95 ABM. USAF turned me down because of my GPA... A little ridiculous if you ask me. That made me question whether I would have liked to be in a community that turns down candidates with scores like that based on a single criteria. Everything I've heard and read about the Navy and experienced in the recruiting process so far has been great.

Don't compromise and stay somewhere you don't want to be for the CHANCE at getting something that isn't guaranteed. Make decisions that propel you toward your goal. I did, and I wouldn't have changed anything.

Getting a conditional release from the IRR was a quick and painless process. Had a release in less than two weeks, and I've requested two of them over the past year. Not a problem at all.
I really appreciate this insight. Definitely has me thinking about a lot. I myself got a 86 Pilot and 85 ABM. I am hoping to replicate that high score on the ASTB-E and OAR if I decide to commit to that route. Thank you for the response.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I really appreciate this insight. Definitely has me thinking about a lot. I myself got a 86 Pilot and 85 ABM. I am hoping to replicate that high score on the ASTB-E and OAR if I decide to commit to that route. Thank you for the response.
The ASTB is a different animal. The AFOQT felt easier, so be prepared to study and don't be afraid to retake the ASTB if you need to. I think familiarity with the hands on portion is key to mastering it. ASTB scores are erased and replaced with the most recent test scores so studying and preparation is key.

The ASTB uses percentile scores from 1-9 with a minimum of 5 AQR, 6 PFAR/FOFAR to apply. Getting into the 7-9 range is a big deal, this range represents the top 23% of ASTB testers. Long story short, it's not like the AFOQT 1-99 range. There is less margin for error here and the percentile change from a 6 to an 8 is huge. See attached for percentile ranges.
Best of luck to you in your endeavor!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Don’t limit yourself. Apply to the USAF, USN, US Army, USCG, and the Marines. The sky looks the same out of each cockpit and the flying adventures are what you make of them.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's always the Army Warrant route as well, if you're more focused on flying than a line officer career path. While technically you don't need a degree, from what I hear they get a lot of WOCS applicants who do, so you should be competitive.