• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cblax2000

I just completed my packet for the December selection board in order to go to OCS this summer for PLC (10 weeks). Thank God! I secured a pilot spot. I am Psyched as anything. But I have a few questions.

1. I am a history major and was wondering how much math I will need at OCS and TBS, anything major, that was my biggest obstacle on the ASTB?

2. And how hard is it to drop your air contract when u get to TBS , I originally wanted to be a grunt. But air was the only spot open when I talked to my OSO. Either way I am happy to take a shot at being a marine.

3. How much math is needed to be a pilot, get through flight school?

4. Lastly, if I went ground are there many infantry spots open, or are they just as coveted as intel?

THanks for the read and any advice would be very helpful.

davidsin

My OSO tells me ground slots opened up for the Jan class. He kinda wispered it though~
icon_smile_wink.gif

Semper Fi

Rainman

pilot
1) You need to be able to add and subtract @ OCS / TBS.
2) We had to have a discussion with our SPC, CO, and BN XO and write a letter to drop the contract.
3) add, subtract, multiple, divide.
4) There is usually more infantry slots than intel. There is no sure way to get either (unless you're #1!)

Kinda a ways off, but I'd suggest if you're still unsure @ TBS, go talk with officers @ TBS HQ (like Air Officer and others with wings) and gather as much info as possible. The only problem with going ground is that you don't have a lot of control over your destiny. If you want to get out there and "get some" you may be better off flying a Cobra with a bunch of TOWs and rockets than an admin or supply guy. There aren't that many MOSs beyond aviation that let you "pull the trigger" (maybe infantry, artillery, armor, AAV, ground intel, combat eng, LAAD, ??)

Like you said, either way you'll be afforded the opportunity to lead Marines and it is a ways off. . get through OCS and take the time you need to figure it out. .... .

Semper Fi

cblax2000

Thanks for the post Josh, it was very helpful. I will concentrate on OCS at this point, gather some info and make my decision when I have enough knowledge on the situation. So you don't have to be a math wiz, correct? That's good. In your opinion what is the #1 skill that is most needed to be a pilot, #2, #3? Thanks again

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
I'm not Josh, but I'll give you my 2 cents... Skills most needed to be a pilot:
1. Confidence
2. Situational Awareness
3. Confidence
Everything else you can pick up along the way.

Anyone else?

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

Jafar

Hey I heard the board for that class meets in April. Are there two boards for that class or something? I am contracting Nov. 22 for this class. The June 1st one, right?

davidsin

hey cblax,

I'm in the same boat. I just completed my package, and I'm shooting for OCC 182 Jan. I'm just waiting to hear the board meeting results. I'm going as NFO though. Any idea when results come in? Did you hear anything from the OSO regarding when we'll know for sure?

Semper Fi

cblax2000

All my OSO told me was that it's good I got my packet in early because there is a board that meets in Dec. and as it gets closer to June the slots become more competitive. He said that I should know relatively soon after the board meets. Also I hear there are multiple board meetings before the June 1 class, not just one board meeting for each class. Yes, I am shooting for the June class.

Status
Not open for further replies.