• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for advice about cross-rate/re-upping from the Reserves

VTFlyer

I have been pursuing OCS (pilot) wth no avail since I graduated college in 2011. I have 5 years active '04-'09, 2 years IRR '09-'11, and now pushing one year in the active Reserves.

My current rate is AT2(AW), I drill in North Carolina with an Expeditionary Unit but I am cross assigned to VAQ-129 in Whidbey. With the age limit for pilot fast approaching I am considering, and would like to go back on active duty as an aircrewman.

Obviously the Navy has made it really tough for priors to go back active. Does anyone have any insight to the possibility of converting from overmanned AT to an undermanned AW and goin back acitve?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When you say "Active Reserve," that usually means FTS, but if you're Cross-Assigned, then it sounds like you're a SELRES. Also, when you say you're looking to back "active" as an AW, do you mean back to Regular Navy (AWS, AWR) or FTS (AWF)?

Going to FTS from SELRES is tough. There's a new message/"flyer" floating around that says which aviation rates are open to apply for for FTS right now for the board that's coming up (August, I think). Some minimums are 3 Evals, 3 passing PRTs. The more competitive the evals, obviously the better things get, but still very competitive.

Going from SELRES to REGNAV may be a little easier IF the rate is open. I know AWR (again, knowing which AW rate is important) is in high demand, but on the books, know one seems to get past AW1. I know "they" are looking at how "they" are accounting for AWs and there seems to be some fuzzy math throughout the fleet, but I haven't heard much new about that.

VTFlyer

I am SELRES. I actually have the message in my email, I would apply for FTS but no AW's are listed as open (or AT's). I would like to go back on active duty but there is no way they will take me as an AT, hence the crossrate. I honestly would rather be an AW anyway flying is what I want to do, if I'm not going to be a pilot/nfo, aircrew is the next best thing to me.

VTFlyer

Lastest CREO I can find

AT (SELRES) 2 3 3
AWF (SELRES) 1 1 2
AWO (SELRES) 1 1 1
AWR (SELRES) 1 1 2
AWS (SELRES) 1 2 2

I can't find an Active Duty, CREO....am I missing something?