• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Look! A post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ordinary_guy

I apologize for this. However, the future nukes have not done a good job of populating their forum, so I thought that I would rectify that situation

jburnes

you're a future nuke? maybe it's because all the future nukes are too busy studying that interview study guide and working problems...

i put in for nuke and my app is getting revied, but i dont think im going to accept it...

DairyCreamer

Pray-tell, why would you apply for a position if you dont intend on accepting it if it's offered to you? Sounds like you might be shooting yourself in the foot.

~Nate

jburnes said:
i put in for nuke and my app is getting revied, but i dont think im going to accept it...

jburnes

well for nupoc you apply...take a vip trip to a sub base and then they look at your app again and if accepted send you on another vip trip to D.C. to interview...

i already went on the first vip trip to Kings Bay....nice place, but sub life seems a little to isolated for me...im married and have a 1 week old baby...when I was on the trip at kings bay i decided that if i was going to do subs i'd go fast attack...and they have 6month on 6 month off deployments...and i really dont want to be out of contact that long...its not like on a ship where you can email or call home anytime...

how i got there is kind of a round about way...i was originally just applying for nuclear instructor...cause i thought i couldnt get into anything else because i've had several ear operations and every other service had turned me down...so i was about to go on a vip trip for the instructor and was sitting at the airport when someone called my cell phone and told me that they cut the number of instructor billets and i wouldn't be going on the trip...my recuiter was pissed that they were jerking me around and was finally able to get me a physical...and i passed it...so then my recruiter was saying that i could get into subs no problem if i wanted to...so i took the trip and didnt think it was going to work out for me...

i'd be shooting myself in the foot if i took a job for 5 years that i didnt enjoy

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Jburnes,
FYI
If you are looking for a set schedule, you are mistaken about Fast boats being the way to go... Boomers have 2 crews and set deployment schedules. 6 on and 6 off if I remember correctly. Ship gets back from deployment... gold crew hands off to blue crew. Blue fixes and does workups to do their deterrent patrol/deployment. Go to sea for 3 mos... come home and hand off to gold crew. It is quite possibly the most set schedule in the navy.

Fast boats are gone a lot more than the boomers. While the deployment may only be 6 mos, you have workups for the deployment, little missions here and there... oh yea and being extended on deployments.

I was on the 2nd half of a boomer patrol. You are right about having no contact out, but your family can send you "family grams" They are essentialy a radio message designed to let you know how they are doing.

If a set schedule is what you want.... you do NOT want fast boats... boomers are the way to go, oh yea and I would reccomend bangor instead of kings bay.

jburnes

bch,

yeah i found all of that out...i was saying that if i was going to do subs at all i'd like to do fast attack because it seemed more mission oriented that just going and hiding in a boomer somewhere...the fast attack schedule is longer which is the turn off point

i guess the main point here is that im looking for a bit of a rush...angles and dangles might be fun for a few minutes every month, but im not that into it...

nupoc was originally my third choice until my recruiter thought that i should check out a vip trip asap...so i did...didnt like it...and now im waiting for the nupoc board to get done with my app to hear back about sna and intel

kings bay was just where all the vip trips head to...for the eastern half of the US anyway...

my whole application process now seems like i'm running in circles...and i'm pretty sure that i am...but the finish line has to be around here somewhere...

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
cool man, just wanted to make sure you were not making decisions off of bad gouge.

big

USNA Class of 2008
I plan on going NUPOC myself, cause I know subs is what I wanna do. I'm only a freshman though so I gotta wait a bit before I get to apply.

Question: Do they have any of the NUPOC study guides available online to look at / print out?

jburnes

big,

if you do a search through google on "NUPOC study guides" it's pretty easy to find one.

I think i found them on an MIT website and a Wisconsin website...I still have a copy of the one I found so if you want to pm me and give me your email address i can send it to you...

or if you already started talking to a recruiter just ask them for a copy...

big

USNA Class of 2008
Yeah I actually just talked to a recruiter finally today...meeting on Thursday to see what I'm gonna do.

I thought I read earlier somewhere in the forums that you only had to have a 3.0 and C's in calc1-2 and phys1-2 to apply... the recruiter today told me you have to have bare minimum B's in Calc and Physics, so they must've upped their requirements.

I still have a bit till I can fully apply or use NUPOC if I get it, since I'm only at the end of my freshman year and I'm at a J.C., but I was interested in the study guide just for a heads up. I have seen the study guide before on google but I wasn't sure if that was the correct one-----> I looked at the Calculus problems and I can't do probably half of them and I'm almost done with my second semester of Calc...I've never even seen some of it before so wtf is up with that?

My J.C. doesn't have a poor math program either so it's not that, and I got an A in calc1 and have an A similarly in this course.

jburnes

well the math on the study guide also has D.E.'s so maybe that's what you don't know...but if you don't take D.E. before you go on the interview then they aren't going to ask you any questions about that subject...just make sure you know the stuff you did learn...

big

USNA Class of 2008
DE's we've touched on a bit, like newton's law of cooling etc. I dunno, I prob shouldn't start whining/being worried until I actually have to get ready for the interviews :) Especially since by then (~after next spring) I'll have taken two more semesters of calculus, one of which is a DE course.

I'm not gettin the "derive this <insert geometric object>'s area using calculus" was all.

bg7

Just Wondering If Any Of You Guys Can Answer A Question For Me. My Boyfriend Is In The Nupoc Program And Is Currently At Ocs. He Wants To Be On A Sub, And I Was Just Wondering If Any Of You Know Whether Or Not He Gets A Choice Between Fast Attacks Or Boomers, Or If He Just Gets Whatever They Give Him?
And I Thought I Would Add A Post To This Lonely Forum ;) Thanks For Any Info.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
bg7,

He'll get to list a preference, but like anything else, timing is everything. He can choose his port (San Diego, Hawaii, Norfolk, Groton CT for fast attack, Kings Bay, GA and Bangor WA for Boomers) some time during prototype.

Status
Not open for further replies.