• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Long-term ADSW?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anybody around here have experience with 365-day ADSWs? Specifically, how are the orders phrased? Dug through Bupers, etc, but I can't find out whether they're still Involuntary/Mobilizations or what.

I imagine the answer will be, like most things Navy, "it depends," but thought I'd ask around.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For ADSW, I don't think the Navy thinks of it as Involuntary. It's definitely NOT a MOB on the orders. From the 9+ month orders I've seen, it's just a call to active duty to do your thing. I do believe your CO can write a letter to an employer, if that is what you're after. What the employer hears doesn't necessarily have to match what the orders say, if you catch my drift.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just got done with one last year. They are not MOB's and they are not involuntary, they do however count towards the earlier retirement for reservists though so that is good. My orders read that I was required to report for ADSW, nothing saying involuntary but nothing saying it was voluntary either and unless your employer knows how to read Navy orders they won't know the difference.

Let me know if you have anymore questions, it isn't anything too complicated but there are a few small quirks with ADSW orders I learned only by experiencing.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
You are protected by USERRA which covers all military duty under orders (IDT, IDTT, AT, ADT, ADSW, Mobilization, etc.) issued pursuant to Titles 10 U.S.C, 32 U.S.C. § 502(f), and 32 U.S.C. § 502(a):

USERRA’s definition of “service in the uniformed services” covers all categories of military training and service, including duty performed on a voluntary or involuntary basis, in time of peace or war. Although most often understood as applying to Guard and Reserve military personnel, USERRA also applies to persons serving in the active components of the Armed Forces and the National Disaster Medical System (NDMS).

ESGR is a good resource if you have any questions, anticipate or are receiving flack. They contact employers on your behalf (if requested) as well as can educate you on your notification requirements.
http://www.esgr.mil/

http://www.esgr.mil/USERRA/Frequently-Asked-Questions.aspx

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You are protected by USERRA which covers all military duty under orders (IDT, IDTT, AT, ADT, ADSW, Mobilization, etc.) issued pursuant to Titles 10 U.S.C, 32 U.S.C. § 502(f), and 32 U.S.C. § 502(a):

In theory, yes. But in practice, that doesn't mean you won't suffer from career progression issues in a company if you go on orders. Sometimes it can happen even if the company isn't intentionally trying to "punish" the member.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
In theory, yes. But in practice, that doesn't mean you won't suffer from career progression issues in a company if you go on orders. Sometimes it can happen even if the company isn't intentionally trying to "punish" the member.
Agreed.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Yep..what he said. You'll definitely have a job when you get back, but whether or not your employment is still meaningful and possesses upward projection could be a different story.