• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Locked posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Is this new or am I just noticing it. But are all threads being locked that have not been posted on greater than 30 days?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yes, you are just now noticing it.

Yes threads that are older than 30 days are automatically locked.

boobcheese

What is the logic behind locking an old thread? If you come across an old thread and have something to add or some question to ask I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do so. I understand that you could start a new thread along the same lines if you wanted, but then other readers may not appreciate the full context of the new post. Additionally, it seams that threads are getting locked more often for no other reason than a particular moderator finds it boring or uninformative. Why not let the users decide what they want to read/reply to. I understand if there are issues OPSEC or if someone is just trying to flame people but other than that why lock a thread? I am not trying to pick a fight, I just don't see the need for censorship.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Webmaster's Locked Posts Thoughts....

boobcheese,

- Resurrecting a 3-4 year old thread is hitting the discussion a little late. If someone finds a particular thread that they are "dying" to respond to, or that they wish to refer to for their own thread, then it is quite easy to just put a link in your thread. We are mainly talking continuity of new discussions, not bringing back multi-year old posts.

- Thread locks are happening for a couple reasons, some that you mentioned:
1. OPSEC/INFOSEC.
2. Degenerating thread (flames or non-suitable behavior)
3. Phishers (or whatever you call them), ppl that intentionally post blatantly stupid/decieving/misleading posts to generate a convtroversy. These are ppl with sub 20 posts.
4. Previously banned members (only 3 to date), that have been identified with a new name.

"Why not let the users decide what they want to read/reply to."

Well, in many cases, its not in line with what this site is about. I have come down on a couple cases of overzealously bashing an aspirants questions (either by mods or other users), but for the main goal, this site has kept itself alot more open then other forums I know of.

Another main reason, you have FLEET AVIATORS and former SENIOR Officers on this site with tons of experience and knowledge to pass on. They are here of their own free will and wish to socialize and help out the next bubba. But when aspiring Academy guy, or liberal college guy start bashing facts (not opinions), but honest to goodness facts FROM THE HORSES MOUTH, then we need to step in. You look at many of those that get "shut down" or "locked out" as you put it. Well, for the most part, these are the same ppl that DON'T PUT ANYTHING IN THEIR PROFILE or identify/make their own position credible. How long do the ppl here that KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT have to put up with someone second guessing/deriding them, before they get tired of visiting? Hmmm? By the way, notice you don't have anything in your profile...(not singling you out, just making an observation)..

Thanks for the input.

Regards,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.