• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Loan deferment

unrealpolitik

OCS path.

just wondering if I can apply for my federal loan deferment as soon as I am sworn in? I mean seriously.. what's the process?

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I'm in the same boat as you, but I imagine as soon as you have proof to your lender (i.e. orders) that you are entering military service, you can apply for deferment. Just call them, suffer through the Kenny G musaq, and talk to a representative, they should help you out.

MasterBates

Be aware that interest will rack up in deferment. That 2-3 months extra wait may mean a year on the backside.

I had $1100/mo of student loans start coming out during the last month of OCS. It can be done, you just can't party as much like a rockstar as you would like.

irontri

Masterbates, I've got nearly the same amount. What if you already don't party, plus a wife and two kids? I'm not sure how we will do it.

Get this crap. I looked into deferment with my lender, Great Lakes Higher Ed Corp. I consolidated two years ago. Because some of the loans that were consolidated were pre-2001, I cannot defer!!!

If anyone knows or has experienced differently, please let me know. With 0-1 pay and $1111/month in loans...well you guys can figure out the math.

irontri

I was just making an extra payment at my lender's website, Great Lakes Higher Ed Corp, and I looked at the military deferment form again.

NEWSFLASH, the two previous restrictions:
1-A 3 year limit on military deferment, and
2-all loans must have been after 01July2001

HAS NOW BEEN ELIMINATED!

Link: https://www.mygreatlakes.org/borrower/viewDefermentForm.do?displayForm=military_defer.pdf

It does say that the Dept of Ed has not updated their forms yet.

So if I sign up for 20, I never have to make another payment until I'm old and gray?!?! Not that I would...but this significantly reduces any apprehension or reluctance due to tight O-1 pay w/ a family and student loans.

There are specifics for eligibility in both sections 6 and 7 that I am a little uncertain about. E.g. "Serving on active duty during a war or other military operation or national emergency". I would think the GWOT counts, but I have no clue how that is determined.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
EDIT:

Sorry didn't read. I was thinking you were talking about the pre-commissioning loan. If you're considering that loan my advice was: wait until you commission.