• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Live streaming USNA mid's ship selection

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tonight, the 28th, the USNA will live stream ship selections for those midshipmen assigned SWO. Tune in. It will have everything. They will cry, they will laugh, they will cringe, they will be joyous, and yes, some will regret.

http://livestream.com/navy/events/4657855

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ummmm...dumb question, has anyone thought about the information security and PII implications of this before blasting out for the entire web to see?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Uh... well obviously not me. You may have a point though. USNA either didn't think about it or isn't concerned. It is a public event simply passed on to me through USNA Admissions. Don't recall if they have done it before.

azguy

None
Yep they do this every year. All that can be gleaned from the ship selection are name, command, and home port. I think people freak out about PII a bit too much.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep they do this every year. All that can be gleaned from the ship selection are name, command, and home port. I think people freak out about PII a bit too much.

In this case, agreed. I'd prefer it if some people/agencies freaked out about PII a bit more.

Service Selection Night is cool. Between the tensions, choosing your fate, distribution of hats, and all the DC-area flags who show up, it's like a combination of draft night and the swallows returning to Capistrano.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
I still think it should be the other way around - ship COs and wardrooms get stats on the graduating class and draft ENSs for their ships. The selection order is by Battle E points - from worst to first. Underway/deployed/river city ships mail in their results. Higher-bandwidth platforms can video in.

jmcquate

Contributor
I still think it should be the other way around - ship COs and wardrooms get stats on the graduating class and draft ENSs for their ships. The selection order is by Battle E points - from worst to first. Underway/deployed/river city ships mail in their results. Higher-bandwidth platforms can video in.
Can the ship's trade up? And what are ROTC/OCS grads, Div II/III?

Renegade One

None
Can the ship's trade up? And what are ROTC/OCS grads, Div II/III?
Yeah, it ought to be like the NFL draft…Battle E winners get low draft pics and ships that ran aground or went DIW get high picks…and then they can trade their picks. Cool beans!

Renegade One

None
That was pretty interesting to watch…even for an old non-Academy type. Didn't really understand how the SWO-EDO and SWO-IWO lateral options work, but I guess the middies do. Was also a bit surprised to see some DDGs still on the board. Rota and San Diego seemed very popular...

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
ROTC as Div II/III? You mean at being lame? Sure, ROTC is less good at being lame. They'd probably be in a second, separate draft, simply because they are done in a second later selection already. You could trade a USNA grad for an ROTC grad, too, I guess, and across rounds - ships going in to yards could trade current picks for future picks as they grow in manning. I've been floating this concept for years now among peers, and it's held up to every criticism except the institutional inertia one.