• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Little Equipment Help

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Ok gang...For those of you who know me, you know why this is here...for those that don't...

Winged 4+ years ago, VP-30, fleet tour in the EP-3 and now, after 1500 hours flying in not much more than a flight suit...I am headed back to Advanced...

I have a pub bag and a 7G kneeboard. What else would you guys suggest picking up to get ready/get comfortable with prior to showing up at Krock or Meridian? I am looking for the little "nice to have" bits that make life in your new home easier...Thanks.

MasterBates

Approach plate strap
Nvg pen or finger light.
The pub bag the PRs make in Krock is tits, a bigger one may not fit.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
2nd the pub bag the Krock PR's make, fits everything you need and snugly fits behind your right elbow in the jet.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Everyone in Meridian always used the little pub bags that one of the PR's in the flight E shop built. I never got one, but I did use the "hornet" one that wings in pcola sells. Funny thing is that when I actually got to Hornets, I never used it again.....if you go VFA, you will walk with only your helmet bag and whatever is inside. BTW, congrats, I had no idea you had transitioned. There aren't a whole lot of night flights in the jet syllabus, but maybe a finger light if you get your hands on one, would be nice. Beyond that, I can't really think of anything that wasn't provided that I really needed. Make sure they hook you up with CEP's when you get your gear checked in. It makes a world of difference with the crappy radios in the T-45. They will also hook you up with Oregon Aero helmet liners if you don't already have one....just ask the PR's.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
+3 on the small pub bags from PR's. Use your helmet bag to haul your shit to the squadron, small pub bag for the jet. I still used mine in the rhino, came in handy on numerous occasions.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I have a pub bag from the loft in Meridian...had a friend pick one up because I got tired of losing shit in my helmet bag in the P-3...

Thanks for the help guys...I've heard some people say two kneeboards...no?

AUtiger

Crossing over to the dark side
pilot
Good thing you picked one up when you did. Dude got fired from what I recall earlier this year.

I'm not a fan of the two kneeboard thing. Although I know people who do. Mostly used as an approach strap really. Sounds like you're set. Unless your PRs can get some of those new gloves I got when I checked into the RAG. Much better than the issued ones. Or just don't wear them, but I feel like that debate happened a while ago. Congrats though

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I have a pub bag from the loft in Meridian...had a friend pick one up because I got tired of losing shit in my helmet bag in the P-3...

Thanks for the help guys...I've heard some people say two kneeboards...no?

Most use a single kneeboard, but if you're use to two, no need to change it up.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I've heard some people say two kneeboards...no?

T-45's, probably not. I started using a second KB once I got to CAS in the RAG. Right kneeboard for writing on, and the left one has checklists, approach plates, en route chart printouts, and in flight guide gouge. Has worked for me, though I know a lot of guys that keep it simple with just one board. I use the 9G and then just a generic board that I attach my kneeboard card to, along with a BLIN/MSP/gripe card for mx.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A good PR will sew a strap on to your left G suit leg if you're into that kind of thing. Not exactly "by the book maintenance" but it can be done.

Brett

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
I preferred a leg strap for the other leg to keep plates/charts/other stuff on, but if 2 KB's work for you then roll with it.