• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Limited Duty Officer

Coota0

None
I have been informed that the Army will not only be getting rid of my aircraft, but my entire community. I am now looking for any and all opportunities that will allow me to continue to fly and stay in the military.
Anybody heard of or know if it is possible for an Army Warrant to apply for the LDO program?
Are LDOs still flying? Are they NFO positions only?
Thanks

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Any chance to switch over to army fixed wing? Just curious, a good friend of mine was a Kiowa WO and switched over a couple years ago. I understand from talking over beers with him that it was a challenging process for him to get the opportunity to switch.

I can't speak to the transition to Navy, I am too far out of the loop on that one. Best of luck!

John

Coota0

None
Army Fixed-Wing is a possibility and I will be applying. I'm just trying to check into any and all possibilities.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No flying LDOs any more, they got converted awhile back (one of my old DHs was one of the LDO to unrestricted line converts).

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I have been informed that the Army will not only be getting rid of my aircraft, but my entire community. I am now looking for any and all opportunities that will allow me to continue to fly and stay in the military.
Anybody heard of or know if it is possible for an Army Warrant to apply for the LDO program?
Thanks

I'm curious, it sounds like the thread is saying that the Army is getting rid of helos altogether since people are saying "go fixed wing" vice "fly another helo" ' but surely I'm reading this wrong. What's going on?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Have you looked in to the Navy's RW reserve squadrons, HSC-84 and 85? Some others on here fly for them and can speak to the recruiting process. What about USCG DCA? Or ANG H-60s?

Renegade One

None
Okay…getting rid of your T/M/S…happens all the time. Surely there is a transition path? I don't believe for a second that the Army is getting out of the RW business.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Okay…getting rid of your T/M/S…happens all the time. Surely there is a transition path? I don't believe for a second that the Army is getting out of the RW business.

No, but the Army is getting hit hard with sequestration, much more so than the Navy. If you're platform goes away, it's not hard to get rid of you in today's fiscal climate.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Thanks
LDO's in the Navy are considered "Technical Managers" and started after WW II with the advent of RADAR & SONAR. The Flying LDO program and LDO to NFO program were attempts to keep ASW expertise in VP squadrons with those AW's that had quite a bit of Cold War On-Top time.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Big sigh…may we assume even that INCREDIBLE skill-set is no longer valued? Just another "dying breed"?
Time will tell I guess. VP still considers this "Job #1", but they continue to be challenged by sonobuoy NCEA, available training targets and dedicated ASW centric exercises. Also, to be fair, new technologies and non-traditional ASW detection, localization and tracking TTP's are helping the problem. As for the days of CAD smoke filled cabins, empty SLC's rolling about, yanking & banking at 200' while marking on top, expanding, setting up up for that elusive close aboard CPA . . . . I certainly hope were not a dying breed !!!

Coota0

None
Army isn't geting rid of rotary wing, just getting rid of the scouts. I appreciate the responses, I'm looking into any and all possibilities.

Bam Bam

FTS AMDO
Army isn't geting rid of rotary wing, just getting rid of the scouts. I appreciate the responses, I'm looking into any and all possibilities.

What time frame are they talking about? I was just working as an Army Civil Servant on the Army RESET program and we have done tons of KW's over the past could of years. Heck, we have even taken crash battle / damaged aircraft out of ISU-90's and basically built them from scratch around an existing ID plate.

I find it hard to believe that they are going to do away with KW's anytime soon. The Army leans on these aircraft to do way too much to throw them under the rug. Heck, they even have fox models in the air right now!

Are you a Chief Warrant Officer? If so, do you have your degree? Awhile back the Navy Reserve was looking for 60 drivers and they talked to my buddy who is a CW-3 60 driver. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a bachelors so it was a no go. Other than that, they really wanted him. They told him he would convert to an 02-E. I also know a couple of Army helo bubbas who went to the CG. I think they require that you have less than 10 years active or 14 years active/reserve combined time.

Good luck. The Kiowa Warrior is an incredible asset to the US.

Happy Veterans Day ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited: