• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lifting weights for running

phattygixxer

I don't have a problem with long distances at a decent pace; however, I'm not the fastest. What are some good lifting exercises for the lower body that would help my speed, for instance, for the PFT run? I've been averaging 22-23 minutes on the PFT. I have never consistently lifted weights with my lower body and I go to OCC 192 June 4. I mentioned that tid-bit because I do not want to do something to risk an injury at this stage, I just want any little boost I can get. Thanks.

nicks13

do you mean like top end speed? You really don't want to only work legs. Upper body is an important part of a distance runner too.

phattygixxer

Well, to simplify my question, will doing something like squats make me any faster for any distance running (short or long)? I ask because some runners say it'll make you slower (b/c you'll be 'heavy' w/muscle which doesn't make sense to me).

pjxc415

pilot
putting in the mileage, not putting up weights in the gym, will make you faster (for the 3 miler, wouldn't be the case for an 800, 400, etc). think base mileage (slow, steady) 3-4 times a week and interval/speed workouts 1-2 times a week. once your aerobic capacity is maxed out then you can start thinking about lifting to get faster

BackOrdered

Contributor
pjxc415 said:
putting in the mileage, not putting up weights in the gym, will make you faster (for the 3 miler, wouldn't be the case for an 800, 400, etc). think base mileage (slow, steady) 3-4 times a week and interval/speed workouts 1-2 times a week. once your aerobic capacity is maxed out then you can start thinking about lifting to get faster

He speaks the truth. It wasn't until I doubled my jogging distants that my PFT time improved.

nublett

Been there, done that.
Tiz84 & pjxc415 are right. I wouldn't start any lifting at this point. It might help you (it helped me) to supplement with swimming. Its a good no-impact, resistance (not much chance of injury), cardio wookout, plus you have to swim at OCS anyway.

BackOrdered

Contributor
nublett said:
Tiz84 & pjxc415 are right. I wouldn't start any lifting at this point. It might help you (it helped me) to supplement with swimming. Its a good no-impact, resistance (not much chance of injury), cardio wookout, plus you have to swim at OCS anyway.

Well, I weight lift my arms for more stable push ups. I don't body build, I just strength train. But that's it. I know first hand that lower body weight lifting without a good aerobic foundation is a mistake. I tried leg lifts before runs and it slowed me down a whole minute.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
With 6 weeks to go, just get used to putting in the miles. There's no subsititute for getting out on the road. If you're slow at first, no sweat; you'll improve if you keep at it, and I guarantee you won't be the slowest in your class if you're consistent in your training. Swimming's a good idea too, it's no-impact and helps you work on breath control which will help everywhere else.

nublett said:

Did we go to the same OCS (is there another one besides Quantico?) {sarcasm} There is no swimming at OCS unless you fall in the Quigly.

S/F
Lt. Dan

teufelhund0311

pilot
Running and more running should be your training regiment. You will only run a PFT a couple of times when you’re there. All other runs, including those in boots, will be over 3 miles…Enjoy!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
tiz84 said:
Well, I weight lift my arms for more stable push ups. I don't body build, I just strength train. But that's it. I know first hand that lower body weight lifting without a good aerobic foundation is a mistake. I tried leg lifts before runs and it slowed me down a whole minute.

I'll put my plug in for CROSSFIT. They've got a lot of workouts on that site for free that will definitely increase strength without costing mobility. A combination of cardio, powerlifting, practical strength applications, etc.

phattygixxer

Thanks everyone, I'm just gonna keep increasing the miles as much as I can w/out risking an overuse injury. I'll swim and bike a lot more too because I do them a little bit now.