• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LIFE AFTER THE NAVY

Status
Not open for further replies.

unfUSN

I am currently a Supply-type on the USS Blue Ridge out here in Yoko-Japan. I just pickd up for NFO and I was hoping that any of you FO's out there could tell me what life out-side the Navy has to offer an ex-NFO. I'm just looking to make my choice of staying Supply or leaving for NFO training.

Thanks for the help...
ENS Payne

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Hey Payne,

I unfortunately don't have an answer for your question but you might actually be able to help me with some questions I have. I recently got shot down for SNA/NFO and my recrutier is sold on the fact that he can get me into Supply so he is submitting my package. I'm not really sure if Supply is what I want to do but I do want to serve in the Navy. I see that you switched from Supply to NFO and I was wondering how you did it, is it common or only a few get to switch. Also, can a Supply Officer switch to pilot? I obviously would not go into the Navy as a Supply Officer with switching designators being my sole reason but it would definitely be an added bonus. Also, any info you could give me that would give me a greater understanding about the Supply community and it's duties would be greatly appreciated. Hope I haven't given you too much to swallow!! Hopefully you can help me to make an informed decision. Thanks.

Peace,

-Spin

unfUSN

Spin-

I went to OCS as a SNFO and got NPQ'd in my 11th week after the quacks
banghead_125.gif
... I mean the docs re-evaluated my medical waiver. I was like you though... I still wanted to be in the Navy regarless of flying. My Father-in-Law is a retired Supply CDR and he advised me to go Supply. It was the best thing that I could have done. It's a great community...

I got stashed in between OCS and Supply school so I got another flight physical and put in a waiver... the latest wavier got approved so I put in a Lateral transfer package and got picked up AGAIN[:D][:D].

I would highly recommend Supply...
angel_125.gif
it's a great way to see all the other communities. You have a Sea-tour coming out of Supply school and you can check out everything else. I would never recommend SWO to anyone who wasn't 100% sure that's what they wanted... plus it is really tough (from what I hear) to Lateral out. Less than 1/2 the Jo's on my boat who where SWO's got picked up for trandfer. Supply on the other hand is a staff corps position and the Navy is always wanting to put guys into Unrestricted Line positons (Aviation/SWO/Subs/SPECOPS).

So to make a long story even longer... why wern't you picked up for aviation to begin with? If it was medical you still have to get the waiver regarless if its a Lat transfer or not. If it was because they were full for the year... you can try again next year. Just strenghten your package with some good recommendations-- try the local Navy club--- that's where I got my rec's for OCS.

I have a bunch of great Supply gouge to give you... and I can answer any general Navy questions you might have. I don't want to tie up the forum though. Please email me any of your questions. paynea@blue-ridge.navy.mil

Take care...

Today, the real test of power is not the capacity to make war but the capacity to prevent it
- Anne O'Hare McCormick

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
unfUSN, go ahead and tie up the forum, that is some good info that others interested in Supply and the other choices available to them will want to hear!

Kimphils Girl

To answer your question about life after the navy for NFOs, you can get a good job in the airlines. This was the goal of Owen Wilson's NFO character in the movie "Behind Enemy Lines."

Stay strong kimphil! Its only a mind game!

Kimphils Girl

My brother told me that Marines OCS doesn't have "poopie" week so your advice doesn't apply to my OC. I hope this helps.

Stay strong kimphil! Its only a mind game!

unfUSN

Originally posted by shivermetimbers
unfUSN, i can't believe they NPQ'd you on your 11th week. Could you tell us what happened if you don't mind.

Sorry I haven't responded before now... I was taking some holiday leave.

I had an accident before OCS... a head injury that occured 4 years before. I taked with all the Docs at MEPS and emailed NAMI before going to OCS about it. They all told me that I was fine and not to worry. I got to OCS and they looked at my medical record... said I was fine and in my 11th week some Doc saw it again, and changed his mind. Simple as that!

It was tough... but adapt and overcome right?!

Take care... and feel free to email me any Supply or Japan questions you guys have... bear in mind that I am on a Command Ship and liv'in the good life... so my day-to day is a little off than the small boys around here. But I would love to help out anyone I can.

ENS Payne

Today, the real test of power is not the capacity to make war but the capacity to prevent it
- Anne O'Hare McCormick

unfUSN

unfUSN, go ahead and tie up the forum, that is some good info that others interested in Supply and the other choices available to them will want to hear!

Being Supply is a great time... It was not my 1st choice, but I will never say that I am disappointed to be doing it. The general term thrown around a lot about Supply is "Business Mangers" of the Navy. I think that's fair. But not even close to covering everything that we (supply) entails. I like Supply in the Navy because it's not all paper work and Computer watching. We do actual Navy/Tactical things... especially on a smaller ship... you are another khaki and expected to pull your weight on the ship. You stand watch, OOD JOOD and CON, a lot of Supply types are standing HCO (helo control Officer). When it comes down to it we are Supply guys... just think about everything you need to run a Navy and we have something to do with it... Food/Money/Ammunition/Parts/Logistics/Scheduling/IT is a new thing and Supply and IT LDOs and taking it over... so I hear.

One of the great things about Supply is that we only need to go to sea 3 times right now to make 05!!! Good deal! trust me. And our detailers (the guys/gals that give you orders are great) we usually get the orders we want, un-like most other communities in the Navy who just send you places... until you reach like 04. Plus SUpply has a lot of Joint Service training opportunities! Like the Australian Navy and Brazilian Navy... where ever a Naval base is there is Supply!

After OCS you will go to Athens, GA (awesome place by the way!) for 6 months and then you head to your 1st ship. After that its Shore and then ship again (as a Dept Head afloat tour) and then shore (to include grad school) for a few more years.

I can answer anything else you guys have... drop me an email.

ENS Payne

- Anne O'Hare McCormick

Spin

SNA in Meridian
unfUSN,

Hey, hope all is well ..... just wanted to see if you had gotten my email as I haven't heard back from you yet. Not trying to put any pressure on ya (hehe) just wanted to make sure it got to ya ok. Look forward to hearing from you!!

-Spin

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I'm a retired P-3 NFO now a pilot at Hawaiian Airlines.

My NFO experience did little for me as far as getting a job in civilian aviation. What it did do for me was make it a lot easier to earn my various pilot liscences. It also made me a lot more confident in the airplane as a pilot. After being a TACCO/Mission Commander and Department Head, the decisions I had to make as a Captain at a regional airline were a breeze.

You'll have a lot more fun as a NFO than as a supply puke. But the supply jobs will probably set you up better for non-pilot civilian jobs after you leave the Navy.

sassen

hey all, i'm an accepted nfo candidate waiting to head off to ocs, i don't know for sure since i haven't experienced it, but i have talked with various ex-navy officers (some nfo, some not) and i get the general theme that coming from the navy is always a good thing! the leadership and maturity and general problem solving skills look great no matter what, some of the guys ended up in supervisory type roles in various companies, others went into civilian jobs with navy, some (which is what i might do) went fbi or cia, i think it all depends on your background before navy and the stuff you do as an nfo in the navy (i was also told that nfo's can pull a variety of duties not involving sitting in a plane - but why they would is an entirely different question :)), anyways, sorry for rambling on, the point i was trying to make is the navy will certainly open doors for you, so your life after navy is really whatever you make of it

b

"Peace over anger, honor over hate, strength over fear."

Status
Not open for further replies.