• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Letters of Recommendation - Quantity vs Quality - Intel/SWO

exNavyOffRec

I was told by my recruiter that the board won't look at any more than 3 LOR. Is this true?

Talk about digging up and resurrecting an old thread!

Many of the designators don't bother looking at LOR's, the ones that will are Supply, IWC, and CEC. The LOR should be from someone that has seen you work in a professional environment, not someone that you are just meeting for the purpose of the LOR.

Talk about digging up and resurrecting an old thread!

Many of the designators don't bother looking at LOR's, the ones that will are Supply, IWC, and CEC. The LOR should be from someone that has seen you work in a professional environment, not someone that you are just meeting for the purpose of the LOR.

Yeah, it took some digging to find this thread. The situation I'm in right now is that I have 5 letters of recommendation but my recruiter keeps telling me he'll only send 3 because no one looks at more than 3. And last time he sent off my packet he didn't include all 5 only the first 3.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I was an active duty officer recruiter in the mid 80s and then late 90s early 2000s when I was supporting the NRD as a reservist, we discouraged any more than 2 or 3. Choose the very best. They don't have time to read lengthy or more than a couple letters.

exNavyOffRec

Yeah, it took some digging to find this thread. The situation I'm in right now is that I have 5 letters of recommendation but my recruiter keeps telling me he'll only send 3 because no one looks at more than 3. And last time he sent off my packet he didn't include all 5 only the first 3.
What designators are you submitting for?

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
Send 3. And send the 3 most impactful.

My most impactful letters were:
Former Supervisor- Gave me an outstanding letter saying I go above and beyond in my work, I'm extremely professional and reliable, have routinely worked outside my wheelhouse without complaints, and exceeded expectations even when the work wasn't expected of me.
O-4 (Known him for 15 years) - Great letter saying that I've been mature beyond my years since my teens, am extremely responsible, and that I'd be an invaluable addition to the Navy as an officer.
Former Colleague (Worked with and Known her for 6 years) - Great letter saying I'm dedicated to service to country, that I'm extremely responsible and professional, and that I'm perfect for service as a military officer.

A former law professor of mine sent one as well and it was solid, I just wouldn't put it as the most impactful.