• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Letter of Reconsideration

ksurf20

I've done the searching, but no actual findings of a standard format or template. To my understanding, it is a letter that should be written as if I were physically at a board voicing "why" I should be reconsidered. My question - Is there a standard template for active duty personnel to follow when writing this letter?

Renegade One

None
Go ahead and use the sorta "standard Navy Letter" formet:

XXXX
To: Command Name or "To Whom It May Concern"
Subj: REQUEST FOR RECONSIDERATION FOR (FILL IN THE BLANK)

Ref: (a) If there's another piece of correspondence that's germane, list here (e.g., NAMI Ltr dated 1 Mar 2009 in the case of (fill in the blank).
(b) Next piece of relevant past corespondence or whatever.

Encl: (1) If you are ATTACHING a copy of something, list the enclosures separately

1. I am writing this letter to respectfully request reconsideration of the fact that you apparently think I'm a total tool (or whatever the situation might be).

2. Etc.

Very respectfully submitted,
(4 line spaces here to give you enough space for a signature)
JOSEPH A. BAGADONUTS
MA2 (SW/AW), U.S. Navy

Your local Admin types can help...take a YN to lunch.

Hope this helps. Spike

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
1. I am writing this letter to respectfully request reconsideration of the fact that you apparently think I'm a total tool...

I wonder how pissed that would get… better yet, they might laugh their ass off and accept you for having set of balls to start your letter off like that ;).

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
The NAVLET format is a great idea, but I know that when I read something in that format, the moment I notice a typo or if the person jacks up the format I start looking at finding other typos instead of reading the info. If you do this format, spend a good minute after you have finished writing to proofread per format.

http://www.tpub.com/content/administration/14172/css/14172_108.htm

This is probably the better of references to look at. There are 2 typos in it, though. The "recruiter-in-charge" on the To: line should line up with the other addressees below it. Lastly the first of your two initials should rest on the 3.25"(+ 1" margin) line, not you entire name centered. Notice that it's Courier New 10-11 pt with 1" margins all around and after every period of the end of a sentence there should be 2 spaces.

torpedo0126

I've done the searching, but no actual findings of a standard format or template. To my understanding, it is a letter that should be written as if I were physically at a board voicing "why" I should be reconsidered. My question - Is there a standard template for active duty personnel to follow when writing this letter?

i would definitely check out the Naval Correspondence Manual and The Guide to Naval Writing first. They might have examples or something to follow that varies from the standard memo format.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Example

KSURF:

Here was my letter of request for redesignation from Supply to Aviation (would be very similar to a letter of reconsideration). Not sure if the format was dead on correct, but the letter worked (after several prior attempts :-D). Hope it helps...

------------------
08 January 2007

CNRC

Subj: REQUEST FOR REDESIGNATION

Since my initial BDCP application and subsequent requests for redesignation from Supply to Student Naval Aviator, I have put forth all my efforts in improving myself academically, physically, and mentally in hopes of making myself a better candidate for the Naval Aviation program.

Since my last request for redesignation, I have logged over 60 flight hours in piston powered aircraft, and have earned my private pilot license. My cumulative GPA over the past 4 semesters has been a 3.4. I have consistently made the honor roll, and made the Dean’s list once with a 4.0 GPA this summer.

I have been placing a strong emphasis on maintaining a high level of physical fitness, and resultantly have been constantly improving my PRT scores since my acceptance into the BDCP program. I have been consistently scoring in the outstanding category on all my PRT tests.

As I’ve mentioned in previous letters, I continue to be highly involved on campus. Last year I was President of the Embry Riddle Skydiving Club, President of the Collegiate Skydiving Team; which took first place at the National Collegiate Skydiving Competition, Vice President of the Naval Aviation Club, and a Senior Leader on the Orientation Team. Since the conclusion of my terms in these positions, I have been volunteering my spare time mentoring the new leaders of these organizations. I have also given several PowerPoint presentations at my university on the Navy’s BDCP program, encouraging students to consider the Navy as a career, and mentoring many through the BDCP application process.

I would like to emphasize that I am honored to have the opportunity to serve my country as a Naval Officer in any capacity, and would be thrilled to do so as a Supply Corps Officer. However my passions have rested in aviation since my early childhood. It continues to be my lifelong dream to earn the title, honor, and rewarding career of a Naval Aviator. It is this reason I strongly feel I would be a better asset to the Navy as an aviator. I sincerely hope that the culmination of all my efforts and improvements merit your reconsideration of my request to redesignate to aviation. I can affirm with all my integrity that such a decision would not be a mistake. Thank you for your time.

Very Respectfully,

*Godspeed*
OC/USNR

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
OH FOR F*CK'S SAKE, JUST SEND ME TO FLIGHT SCHOOL!!

That's what I told him to write instead, back when I proofread that thing a few years ago. But he had to have it his way.:irked_125

On a serious note though, and as GS as the example, persistence really does pay off. I think he tried 2 other times before finally accepted. So don't give up if you get turned down again. Good luck man.