• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Letter of Recommendation

Garrett08

Hello everyone just real quick since this is my first post. I am a navy aircrewman that has been in the navy for over 7 years and I'm getting close to finishing my degree and going to put my OCS package together. I have a few officers that are willing to write me letters of recommendation but want a sample letter of what I want. I was wondering if there was anyone on here that has any letters that they used for their package that I could see or if anyone could give me some ideas to start with that would be awesome. Also if there is any extra info i should know about while putting my package together. I have wrote many of my own evals and everything but this is a lot different. Thank you for your help.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Well I can tell you this much. If you can write your own EVALs then you can write your own Letter of Recommendation template. You should only being giving them a template. They should still modify it so that it is their voice coming through the LOR and not sound the same throughout every LOR. They will also be adding a letter head, etc. to it. Don't take this the wrong way but more than likely someone will not give you a copy or a template of a LOR or motivational statement. This is because everyone else has needed to do the leg work and figure it out themselves. Search around here, use google, use www.usnavyocs.com, etc. and if you can't find the answer to your question then by all means ask. Good Luck with the boards!

Edit: The closest thing to a template that mine resembled was found here.
http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/01000%20Military%20Personnel%20Support/01-400%20Promotion%20and%20Advancement%20Programs/1420.%201B.pdf

I used the from, to, and subject line on all my LORs that can be seen under the COs endorsement on page 146. The body wasn't like that but the letter head was similar. Ensure your LORs are dated and signed.

Garrett08

Don't get me wrong I'm not here to have some one else write my letter for me. Yes i do understand that people have had to do the leg work them selfs and i don't want to steal that. I am just looking to see if i can get a basic understand of what they want to see. I can sit here and write a brag sheet about all the great things i have done and quals i have gotten and my collateral duties and everything else. I'm more trying to understand want i should give them so i can receive quality recommendations. Just like writing evals you get out what you put in.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
Basically what you want in one of these letters is what attributes you have that would make you a good addition to the wardroom. It helps if these officers have worked closely with you, as that can add great value to the things they have to say about you. When I had my LOR's written, the officers who did so essentially just wanted a brag sheet. They took the time to put it all into their own words along with what they saw in me personally that would make me a good officer. I hope that helps, and if I can find my LOR's maybe I can provide further guidance.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I hope this helps. I just found one of my LORs. This is the basic format it followed.

Date (upper right corner)
To: Officer Candidate School Selection Board

Subject: Letter of Recommendation for Officer Candidate School ICO ME

Intro paragraph:
-Describes how this individual knows you and what qualifications they posses.
-Information about me and why they believe I would be a good Officer.

Body paragraph:
-Details about me and my attirbutes and how they have been used
-Qualities that make me a good Officer.

Conclusion:
-Final thoughts about why I would be a good Officer
-Endorsement

Name
Signature