• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Less than 1 year to graduation

hooeylewis

Hey all,

I have a question about BDCP, and I have made several attempts to search for an answer, but I keep receiving conflicting information. I plan on applying for a commission regardless of whether I can do BDCP or not, becoming a naval officer is my number one goal, but BDCP benefits would be nice.

My problem is that I have exactly 12 months until graduation (May 2011). I talked to my OR the other day and he told me that I needed to apply within 12-24 months before graduation to be considered for BDCP. However, I do have a full academic year (2 semesters) left before I finish college, so I don't see why there should be a problem.

So to simplify my question when, when I hear that I must be at least "1 year from graduation" does that mean academic year or calendar year? Sorry if this is a little lengthy, but any help would be appreciated.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Hey all,

I have a question about BDCP, and I have made several attempts to search for an answer, but I keep receiving conflicting information. I plan on applying for a commission regardless of whether I can do BDCP or not, becoming a naval officer is my number one goal, but BDCP benefits would be nice.

My problem is that I have exactly 12 months until graduation (May 2011). I talked to my OR the other day and he told me that I needed to apply within 12-24 months before graduation to be considered for BDCP. However, I do have a full academic year (2 semesters) left before I finish college, so I don't see why there should be a problem.

So to simplify my question when, when I hear that I must be at least "1 year from graduation" does that mean academic year or calendar year? Sorry if this is a little lengthy, but any help would be appreciated.

Your OR is correct. You can't apply for BDCP. You have less than 12 months (calendar). You should use search engines and the search function on this site to find answers to these type of questions. If you look and can't find the answer we will be happy to assist you with any further questions but you should search first then ask. Good Luck!

Lucy

Hey,

Twobecrazy, he did state that he searched, and like he said, depending on the page that you read the information is conflicting.

From my reading of the information on the recruiting sites you have to have at least 6 calender months once sworn in. I think that is where you problem lies, because if you apply in July, and swear in during October that is 7 months, and only if nothing takes longer with your Final Select. I was not able to find any information other than at least the six months other than the information on this and other sites that state both "not possible" and "possible". If someone has the link to the official filing info that would be great.

Bergers2short

None
hooeylewis,

With conflicting information, I'd ask your OR to apply you as BDCP anyway. My friend applied for BDCP SWO in the fall of her senior year and they simply accepted her into OCS and not BDCP. So it's not like the board would drop you from an OCS slot just because your designator code had an "07" (BDCP) in it. Sure, the chances that they'll take you on as BDCP aren't high, but it's worth a shot and it wont hurt your chances at OCS acceptance!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Hey all,

Forget if you're eligible for BDCP or not and just get the ball rolling. It's a time consuming process with a lot of waiting. Even if you can't get into BDCP, it'll be much better to at least have an OCS date lined up shortly after you graduate instead of waiting around to hear back after you've already graduated.

flyboy

Information Warfare Ensign
I applied for the April 2010 Board and my graduation date is May 2011. I know technically it would be 13 months, but I got accepted for BDCP SNA. Just my two cents. I think you should apply for BDCP and worst case they'll just give you a DA OCS without the BDCP. You can't go wrong for trying though.

m26

Contributor
When I first started looking (a lot of things change in 10 months) I believe the word was that you could apply to be in BDCP for a minimum of 6 months, but you were unlikely to be selected for less than 12.

FWIW, I was pro-rec'd 13 months from graduation, and will be getting paid for 10 months, swearing-in to graduation.

BigRed389

None
When I first started looking (a lot of things change in 10 months) I believe the word was that you could apply to be in BDCP for a minimum of 6 months, but you were unlikely to be selected for less than 12.

FWIW, I was pro-rec'd 13 months from graduation, and will be getting paid for 10 months, swearing-in to graduation.

I got Pro-Rec'd ~December 06, sworn in May 07, OCS July 07.

Yeah, I was in BDCP for 2 months.

Lucy

Bigred389-Wow, talk about a long way to final select! And people complain when it has only been a month. Bravo for the persistance!

hooeylewis- Like everyone else I say go for it!

If I can't get BDCP selected by Janurary I will most likely graduate early without my primary major, the other two will already have been completed, and apply for a DA spot. Would prefer the primary but only if I can afford it!