• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Legends of Naval Aviation - "Brick Nelson"

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Another 'Brick' story... Seem to have acquired a bunch... After first night of combat Ops, Brick is in CVIC debrief w/ the intel weenies and you can hear the conversation getting aggressive.. Spy is like "Yes Sir but what was your DIMPI?" Brick points to another guy and says "I don't know. What ever he hit that was on fire.." "But Sir, what was your planned target?" They go back and forth until Brick says somthing like "I destroyed my target which was his fire, Ensign"

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HJ,
I'd love to see the chair pic. "Otto" is another addition to the great Naval Aviator list.

Still "No joy", but I found this one

Brick.jpg

HJ Photo

ONelson

Brick was serious old school... Supersonic below the deck fly-by for his CVW-3 Change of Command.. I was hot switching and thought for sure I was gonna launch an a SAR until he went vertical passing the bow.. If you every looked down in the tanker stack at night and saw burner plumes behind a Tomcat, get out of the way because here comes CAG thru the stack..:eek:
Frank, this is Owen, Rob's brother. Not sure if you all have heard, but Brick passed last Tuesday, 1/23/23. I really appreciate the incredible affection and respect all of you guys have for my big brother, my personal hero. I, as well as my family feel the same. I joined this site to learn more about him re. his Navy career. Will leave a huge hole in all of our hearts. Hell of a man, a real fighter pilot's fighter pilot and the best big brother one could have. A larger than life character. Few become legends, fewer still in their in their own lifetime. Rob is a legend, and deservadly so!!!!! Would love to hear more about your time with Rob from all of you.

ONelson

"Brick" would have fit in great with WWII aviators smoking Camels. He had a beautiful F4U Corsair at his CVW-3 Change of Command that made everything look just right. That was in my predigital days, but I know I have hard copy laying around in a shoebox somewhere that I'll look for to complete the thread. Also have shot of his Ready Room chair that was placed in front row of audience at SFWSL CoC for "Otto" Stutz (a card-carrying "Brick" devotee) with operational ashtray.
Joe, see my post to Frank. Love your take on my brother Rob. Rob's heroes were our Dad, HopAlong Cassiday and Duke Wayne, among others. These are some of the influences that shaped Rob's character and helped to make him the man he is/was. A man's man, a real stud, leader and protector. His loss is devastating to us, but I am so happy he lived his destiny and became what he needed to be. Vaya con Dios Brick, you're leaving some awfully big brown shoes to fill!!!

ONelson

To all of those who know, love and respect Rob "Brick" Nelson, he passed away on 1/23/23. One hell of a man, brother, friend and comrade. Huge hole left behind. His presence was larger than life. A lesson for all of us on how to live a full, aggressive, "balls to the wall" life, full of fun, danger, excitement and done with style and flair. Rob always followed the golden rule of treating people like we would want to be treated. A true gentleman. Will miss his lopsided grin, arched eyebrow and so many other things. Adios Rob, see you later....