• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Legal Age to Consume Alcohol and USNA Stories

wingsB4rings

Four fans of freedom, all day long
None
I remember the Superintendant when I graduated telling us he was only 20 when he graduated (in the 60s). That must have sucked never being 21 during their time there. I believe that in the 80s the drinking age was 18 (can any grads from that era confirm this?), but I for one would have hated spending 4 years there without being old enough to legally drink. Thank God I turned 21 half way through my youngster year...

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I remember the Superintendant when I graduated telling us he was only 20 when he graduated (in the 60s). That must have sucked never being 21 during their time there. I believe that in the 80s the drinking age was 18 (can any grads from that era confirm this?), but I for one would have hated spending 4 years there without being old enough to legally drink. Thank God I turned 21 half way through my youngster year...

It's true - and the Class of 1986, whose plebe year was 82-83 was the last year that plebes were allowed to drink; i.e. the last year before drinking became a "class priviledge." Not sure when Mids began being allowed to drink - as they weren't allowed/supposed to during the 50's and 60's, at least according to any writings by Jim Webb or John McCain about their time at USNA...

wingsB4rings

None
...as they weren't allowed/supposed to during the 50's and 60's, at least according to any writings by Jim Webb or John McCain about their time at USNA...

Isn't that how it is now??? Do they even still have the firstie club or free booze at service selection?

By the way, I really wonder if rules like that ever stopped or even slowed down those two.

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
I believe that in the 80s the drinking age was 18 (can any grads from that era confirm this?)...

That is true. 18 was the legal drinking age in Maryland at the time. Beer was sold by the pitcher at Dahlgren Hall and it was not uncommon to see Firsties at the USNA O'club on a Friday night. Sunday Hockey games at Dahlgren were a favorite pass time. Around '79 they stopped selling beer during the games (before and after was allowed) due to "accidental" dumping of pitchers from the balcony above the visiting teams bench. I think the concern was alcohol abuse (the dumping not drinking :D)

wingsB4rings

None
That is true. 18 was the legal drinking age in Maryland at the time. Beer was sold by the pitcher at Dahlgren Hall and it was not uncommon to see Firsties at the USNA O'club on a Friday night. Sunday Hockey games at Dahlgren were a favorite pass time. Around '79 they stopped selling beer during the games (before and after was allowed) due to "accidental" dumping of pitchers from the balcony above the visiting teams bench. I think the concern was alcohol abuse (the dumping not drinking :D)

I'm speechless. And by speechless I mean totally jealous.

Lobster

That's not really considered abuse if it was for a good cause such as soaking the visiting team...at least while I was up north no one seemed to mind donating a beer to the abuse of a visiting player...

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Isn't that how it is now??? Do they even still have the firstie club or free booze at service selection?

By the way, I really wonder if rules like that ever stopped or even slowed down those two.

I think I wrote poorly or you misinterpreted or both - no Mids (Plebes through Firsties) not on leave could drink ever back in Webb's/McCain's days at Boat School. Nowadays, if you're 21+ and a Youngster and up, you can drink while not on duty, 12 hours before duty, and on liberty. There are a couple special exceptions for the liberty policy - the 21st B-day Alcohol Training (i.e. you get 4 free beers and King Hall dinner in the Chesapeake room while getting lectured and breathalyzed...) and last year during the classified sub brief for 2/C, they gave out free beer. (Read: "PLEASE PLEASE JOIN SUBS!!!!" :D ). There hasn't been a firstie club since my plebe year (2006-2007), and even then, it was very limited use in the top floor of Hubbard Hall; but I've heard it's making its way back - the Dant said he's working on it on a brief last week. Hopefully it'll be around during my firstie year - next year!

And as far as slowing people down? I'm sure it did for many and most - remember these were the days of 7 mi. liberty restrictions (back when Annapolis agreed not to serve alcohol within 7 mi. of the Chapel Dome) - but McCain was infamous for going to the bar 7.1 miles away and climbing the wall.

And I too... am so so jealous of beer + hockey in Dahlgren. My plebe year, they played all hockey games away if I recall correctly, and ever since then, home games are played at the Sports Complex at the Naval Station, so it's much more difficult to get to the games. :(

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Created new thread related to topic at hand. Historical look at drinking ages and USNA.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There hasn't been a firstie club since my plebe year (2006-2007), and even then, it was very limited use in the top floor of Hubbard Hall; but I've heard it's making its way back - the Dant said he's working on it on a brief last week. Hopefully it'll be around during my firstie year - next year!
My plebe year, they played all hockey games away if I recall correctly, and ever since then, home games are played at the Sports Complex at the Naval Station, so it's much more difficult to get to the games. :(

Actually, we did have a firstie club last year, but definitely only had limited use, I think it was open about ten times the entire ac year. :(

Hockey games were definitely more fun in dahlgren, although the plus side of the new rink is that we were able to tailgate before/after games last year, making for some rowdier games.:D

Waldo

Harrier Bubba
pilot
As I look at the Black "N" hanging in my closet, I (and 70+ members of the 5th Company) am reminded that 1) you must be 21 to drink, 2) Plebes cannot drink, and 3) upper-classmen shall not give their Plebes beer.

Best Regards,
Waldo
'93

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
As I look at the Black "N" hanging in my closet, I (and 70+ members of the 5th Company) am reminded that 1) you must be 21 to drink, 2) Plebes cannot drink, and 3) upper-classmen shall not give their Plebes beer.

Wow. . .my company only had 21 (no joke) of us on restriction after our little Bancroft Hall kegger.

It was kinda convenient to hear the announcement over the 1MC, "Restriction muster goes on 8-3 in 29th company spaces. . ."

Good times. . .

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
the 21st B-day Alcohol Training (i.e. you get 4 free beers and King Hall dinner in the Chesapeake room while getting lectured and breathalyzed...)

What do they do if you are 21 when you enter the Academy?

Also, what is the policy on Plebes drinking when on Liberty, if they are of age?

Maybe I should start a 'Stupid Questions About the Naval Academy' thread(with a strictly no discussing the movie Annapolis, of course).

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
What do they do if you are 21 when you enter the Academy?

Also, what is the policy on Plebes drinking when on Liberty, if they are of age?

You do not drink as a plebe while at Annapolis. If you are 21, you may drink if you are home on leave. Once you are no longer a plebe, you may drink the same as everyone else.