• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leatherneck

mattr

Say, I went to the Academy and wanted to be commissioned as a Marine, what are the chances of that actually happening?

And if I was prior enlisted (Marine) do you have a freebie into the Marine corps?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
No, you do not have a 'freebie' back into the Marine Corps. You would have to compete with everyone else for a spot.

As for what your chances would be... Well, I guess it all depends on how bad you want it, right? If you're willing to bust your ass in school and in Marine-related activities, and if you're willing to go to the Leatherneck program and dominate, then your chances are pretty good. If you're a turd, though... Those usually get flushed. Unless they're a Monkey Turd, then they get tossed...or eaten, monkey dependent.

All kidding aside, if you'd like some info, shot me a PM, and I'll do my best.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
As someone who's done the PLC side of things my interest is piqued. What exactly is the criteria at the academy to go Marine option?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
1. You have to do the Leatherneck training block for one of your 1st Class cruise options.

2. You need a first clss score on the PFT. (I can't remember the O- and E- course scores)

3. The staff platoon commander (O-3 or O-4) needs to recommend you.

4. Be in good standing in your class.

5. Be medically qualified.

Being in good standing just means you are going to graduate. Also, those are the basics that get taken into consideration. Your performance record at USNA is looked at, as well as any leadership roles and extra-cirricular activities.

I'll see if I can find the specific grading breakdown for performance at Leatherneck.

Side note... Leatherneck is great training. I found that the USMC wasn't the best route for me. Regardless, you'll learn alot spending 4 weeks in the company of some great Marines...

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
DocT said:
Where is Leatherneck? Is it at Brown Field like Bulldog?

Essential only a little longer I think...oh and not at Brown Field...it takes place at TBS...

mattr

gaijin6423 said:
No, you do not have a 'freebie' back into the Marine Corps. You would have to compete with everyone else for a spot.

Bad wording, I didn't mean it was reserved for you just because you were prior-enlisted and wanted to be a Marine officer. I meant more on the lines of will it help alot or a little in deciding whether or not you will be commisioned as a Marine?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
mattr said:
Bad wording, I didn't mean it was reserved for you just because you were prior-enlisted and wanted to be a Marine officer. I meant more on the lines of will it help alot or a little in deciding whether or not you will be commisioned as a Marine?

It might help a bit for the selection process into the academy but you will still need to meet all the requirements and standards of the Marine Corps as an officer...I have seen priors who were sent packing...

And yes, leadership drops at TBS are still possible...