• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lateral Transfer from NFO to AEDO

pYn9590

Air Warriors,

It's been a while since I posted here. I'm hoping someone on this forum can give me some inside scoop as I work with my detailer to find a community to transfer into. Currently exploring anything that keeps me in the cockpit, if that's even viable at the moment.

Which brings me to the AEDO community. With one third being flying billets I imagine this might be my only opportunity to continue flying. However, I don't have a science background. So in the meantime I'm exploring the possibility of getting a MA on my own if it helps.

Of course I'll be reaching out to the community manager first thing tomorrow. But in the meantime I was hoping to gauge the water temperature a bit in order to temper my expectations.

Any advice/input helps and is greatly appreciated. Feel free to message me directly, as well.

Thanks!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Reading your post history, you attended OCS in 2017, got winged around 2019-2020?, and now wanting to lateral transfer to AEDO?

Are you about to POCR? Don’t think the aviation community is gonna let you go without completing your 6 years MSO as a 1320.

Last edited:

pYn9590

In a perfect world I would continue as a 1320 in my current community but can't due to the fact I don't have the required clearance. So I'm looking at redesignation. However, nothing has been ruled out yet so I'm trying to see what opportunities remain out there.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Air Warriors,

It's been a while since I posted here. I'm hoping someone on this forum can give me some inside scoop as I work with my detailer to find a community to transfer into. Currently exploring anything that keeps me in the cockpit, if that's even viable at the moment.

Which brings me to the AEDO community. With one third being flying billets I imagine this might be my only opportunity to continue flying. However, I don't have a science background. So in the meantime I'm exploring the possibility of getting a MA on my own if it helps.

Of course I'll be reaching out to the community manager first thing tomorrow. But in the meantime I was hoping to gauge the water temperature a bit in order to temper my expectations.

Any advice/input helps and is greatly appreciated. Feel free to message me directly, as well.

Thanks!

Looking at the requirements, it appears that you may be out of luck without a technical degree. https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Caree...ficer/Pers-43-Aviation/AEDO/Lateral-Transfer/

I know for the EDO community, you usually need a waiver if you don't have an engineering degree. I had some buddies who needed to submit some paperwork for their computer science and architecture degrees. An MA may not help you. Talking just from experience, I have yet to meet an AEDO who does not have an MS in a technical field at the very least.

In a perfect world I would continue as a 1320 in my current community but can't due to the fact I don't have the required clearance. So I'm looking at redesignation. However, nothing has been ruled out yet so I'm trying to see what opportunities remain out there.

If you can't get a clearance, how do you expect to continue as an officer? There are minimum clearance requirements to hold a commission and the AEDO community handles a LOT of classified programs. If you can't get a TS or even hold a SECRET clearance, you may be out of luck completely.

pYn9590

Looking at the requirements, it appears that you may be out of luck without a technical degree. https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Caree...ficer/Pers-43-Aviation/AEDO/Lateral-Transfer/

I know for the EDO community, you usually need a waiver if you don't have an engineering degree. I had some buddies who needed to submit some paperwork for their computer science and architecture degrees. An MA may not help you. Talking just from experience, I have yet to meet an AEDO who does not have an MS in a technical field at the very least.

That was initially my understanding, as well. So when I saw AEDO as an option for my year group I thought it wouldn't be available to me for that reason. But seems like that's not necessarily the case so I'm looking into it further.

If you can't get a clearance, how do you expect to continue as an officer? There are minimum clearance requirements to hold a commission and the AEDO community handles a LOT of classified programs. If you can't get a TS or even hold a SECRET clearance, you may be out of luck completely.

To be clear, I have the clearance required to hold a commission and complete the RAG syllabus.

Last edited:

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was initially my understanding, as well. So when I saw AEDO as an option for my year group I thought it wouldn't be available to me for that reason. But seems like that's not necessarily the case so I'm looking into it further.

To be clear, I have the clearance required to hold a commission and complete the RAG syllabus.
Without getting into further details here, you may run into the same issue on the AEDO side with your security clearance hangup. I recommend chatting with both the AEDO community manager and also seeing if that person (or your local security office) has a POC they can point you towards to answer AEDO clearance related questions.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Let me be clear, when NAVPERS says the following (emphasis mine):
Lateral transfer into the Aerospace Engineering Duty Community is very competitive. Approximately 80-100 officers per year request lateral transfer into the Aerospace Engineering Duty Officer community. It is not uncommon for some officers to apply to several lateral transfer boards before being selected. As a primary criterion, board members will be looking for sustained superior performance and a technical background. If possible, endorsement letters from Commanding Officers should be more than passing instructions; a CO's support is an important part of the consideration for selection.
It usually means that if you don't have a technical background, then your chances are very slim. Have you considered becoming an AMDO? https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Career-Management/Detailing/Officer/Pers-43-Aviation/AMDO/

pYn9590

I'm looking into AMDO, as well. Exploring as many opportunities as I can until I find the right one. AEDO caught my attention after I spoke with an AEDO who said it was worth a shot despite knowing my situation.

pYn9590

Without getting into further details here, you may run into the same issue on the AEDO side with your security clearance hangup. I recommend chatting with both the AEDO community manager and also seeing if that person (or your local security office) has a POC they can point you towards to answer AEDO clearance related questions.

Thanks! I'll speak with the OCM tomorrow. Just wanted to get an idea if it was even viable, which it might not be. But I'll shoot my shot, regardless.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

AEDO will require acquisition program level clearances that you apparently do not qualify for.