• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LASIK eye surgery

bbell

I'm heading to OCS on 24 Jun 06. I'm BDCP so I'm already on active duty. I know PRK and LASIK are both waiverable for Information Warfare. My vision is 20/80 in both eyes and I have been considering the new custom view all laser LASIK for some time now. My question is if I decide to have the surgery, will I need the waiver regardless of if I have it before OCS or after I commission?

Thanks

OneOddGuy

Mrs. Crossdressing USA 2003 and 2005
ghost119 said:
If you are considering a flight spot, LASIK will dq you, but PRK and LASEK are waiverable. Atleast I beleive that's how that works.

From talking to my recruiter, I believe only PRK is "officially" allowed, but posssibly you could get a waiver for others.

As with all things in the world, if you are going to get the surgery in the future, get the waiver (if needed) in writing now in triplicate. :p

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
The minimum recovery time (assuming EVERYTHING goes perfectly) is 3-6 months. If you got it now, you'd be jeopardizing your spot at OCS. And technically, flight or not, even PRK is considered "disqualifying for military service, but waiverable". Since you are already technically active duty, to get it done you need your CO's signature. I'd say wait til after commissioning and IW school are done, then put in the request.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
bbell said:
I'm heading to OCS on 24 Jun 06. I'm BDCP so I'm already on active duty. I know PRK and LASIK are both waiverable for Information Warfare. My vision is 20/80 in both eyes and I have been considering the new custom view all laser LASIK for some time now. My question is if I decide to have the surgery, will I need the waiver regardless of if I have it before OCS or after I commission?

Thanks

If you want to get it through the Navy, then you'll have to get on a list, be close to a place where they do the surgery, blah blah. If you want to pay out of pocket, you can pretty much do it at your own discretion. LASIK recovery time is practically zero. I had it done on a tuesday and drove into work the next day, no sweat. Unless things have changed, they only do the eye exam at OCS for pilots and NFOs. Obviously those guys need to get PRK.

Getting Lasik put into your medical record is pretty easy. When I showed up at medical last year (I had lasik done in '03), they asked me "have you had surgery since being at medical?" I said "Yeah, Lasik." She wrote it down. End of story.

Also, since you've already been picked up for BDCP, I don't think you need a waiver at all.

Whalebite

I would get PRK even if for non aviation LASIK is waverable. PRK is a better surgery, 4 days of pain for a lifetime ow worry free superman eyes.