• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Laser eye surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AT2

I'm puting together a STA-21 package and plan to become a pilot. My biggest obstical is going to be my eyesight. Is LASIK/Wavefront surgury an option for would-be navy pilots? Anybody out there had it done?

Thanks

-AT2

mimisoko9

I believe PRK is your only option at this time. It's physically disqualifying, but you may apply for a waiver.

I had PRK as did many other forum members. Do a keyword search on it and you'll get plenty of information.

andrew

Do not get LASIK right now. I have been fighting it for 2.5 years now. I love the surgery but the NAVY/MARINES/COASTGUARD/AIRFORCE will NOT waiver it right now. I am about to join the ARMY aviation program though with the LASIK surgery. Also, the NAVY etc... does not require 20/20 vision anymore. I did not know this when I was selected for OCS NAVY and that is why I had the surgery. BE SURE TO FIND OUT WHAT IS WAIVERABLE AND WHAT IS NOT BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, good luck and see you in the sky.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy requires 20/40 for pilot. Poorer vision ok for NFO. LASIK is disqualifying as stated above. PRK waivers may not be available any longer and will certainly stop at some point in the near future until the study is complete. Be sure it is still acceptable. I sure wouldn't drop a STA-21 app just because you can't be a pilot due to eyes. Look very carefully at NFO, or given your rate, AMDO. Good Luck.

AZSkegee

Hey AT2, check with your commands GMO, I know a couple of AT's who are retiring and an Airman who recently had a procedure done(don't know the correct name for it ) but the nayv does provide it for you just hope on the waiting list

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
When I talked to a doctor in P'cola he told me that they would be starting a LASIK study soon. The thing is though that from what I've been hearing the PRK study has been going almost flawlessly and the guys who were in the study from the begining are already in the fleet. So I'm assuming that even though the PRK study may be coming to an end they will probably bring it back as a regular waiverable procedure. Call NAMI and find out.

AT2

Thanks for all the good gouge. I was told eyesight must be 20/20 uncorrected to pass the flight physical. I looked it up on the NAMI website and it turns out it is 20/40 now, so I should be fine. Sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.