• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Language School

SnowballsChance

Hey Guys, I have several years experience with Japanese and I was wondering what qualifications/conditions made it possible to attend the Language School. If anyone knows or has been I'd be most grateful

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey Guys, I have several years experience with Japanese and I was wondering what qualifications/conditions made it possible to attend the Language School. If anyone knows or has been I'd be most grateful

As an officer, not many. The vast majority of the translator types are enlisted. There are some extremely limited opportunities for those who do foreign exchange tours to go through DLI, and perhaps some random other billets for FAOs.

Brett

MasterBates

If you do an Olmstead Fellowship (Masters at foriegn university) you can go to DLI, unless you are already fluent.

badger16

None
My brother is on the Olmstead Fellowship and just moved over to Turkey. I don't know much about the program but what I hear from him, it is a pretty sweet deal.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As an officer, not many. The vast majority of the translator types are enlisted. There are some extremely limited opportunities for those who do foreign exchange tours to go through DLI, and perhaps some random other billets for FAOs.
Brett
Had an O-5, CH-53 driver for a boss once who had previously been (assistant?) Naval Attaché in Japan, and was fluent in Japanese.

We frequently had Japanese military and civilian dignitaries visiting our R&D facility. Because only he knew well the culture and fluently spoke the language, he was the focal point and "old friend" of every Japanese visitor… much to the chagrin of the Admiral and the CO. But he was invaluable to our work.

I don't know how he became fluent, but I assume DLI for the Attaché job since he had always been an "operator", and was even a TPS graduate.

Although rare and probably difficult, it's apparently possible, and can be very valuable.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If the Navy deems you have a legitimate (ie required for your job) need to go to the Defense Language Institute, they will send you. You will have to take the Defense Language Aptitude Battery (DLAB) which will determine what course you will take (basic, intermediate, advanced), or if you can test out by taking the DLI final, the Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT).

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Attachés are usually Captains, I've seen assistants that were CDRs.