• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kydex Fabricators?

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Nice work. What thickness is the Kydex?

I think it was the .080 kit from knifekits.com. Seems to be a perfect thickness to me, thin but not so that I feel like the hooks will break or tear. Nice job with yours.

I don't know anything about Kydex so I'm curious as to what you think about the potential holster wear? I'm sure the wear is different for SS, caustic blue, and parkerized/anodized? I'd hate to scuff a nice kimber compact because my homemade holster had the craftsmanship of a two year old put into it.

My P30 has some decent holster wear from the MTAC I bought 2 years ago. It seems like some of their Hostile Environmentfinishwon't even hold up to the rigors of my shorts. Apparently the finish is still there, just not as much color as I'd like. The SIG, however, is stainless and hasn't shown anything besides collecting a little bit of black kydex dust after the break-in

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
The Kydex I used is dual sided. Or rather, it has a different texture on either side, with the rougher on the outside of the one I made, and the smoother side on the interior. That cuts down on the wear a bit, but my 229 SAS does show some wear after being used in a similar holster for two years. Admittedly, that's not a scientific study or anything, and there are several variables in there--USPSA competitions, repeated draw/holstering in dry fire practice, and other holsters used for actual carry--that could have affected things. For the most part, though, the most I've seen is a bit of Kydex shavings that will go away after a few practice sessions.

0.080 sounds like it's right. I used .093 for the outboard face, and .125 for the backing and belt loops. Not really having anything to go off of, experience wise, I wasted a shit ton of material, and could have taken in the sides about an inch each. That wheel gun is a big bitch, though...