• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

K1 Visa and Orders to Foreign Nation

Hello, been a while since using this website and, although I may out myself with this post, I wasn't sure where to ask besides reddit and base legal.

Long story short, I just got my selection sheet for my first shore tour today. I'm leaning towards working my way out of aviation and prioritizing location over flying. All I've ever liked and wanted to do with this job was be outside of the US. I also want some downtime to enroll in a masters program to build up a FAO/HR transfer package. That puts the Japan and Spain slots at the top of my list.

However, I have a slight concern. My girlfriend, who I intend to marry next year, is a Korean citizen. I have not applied for a K1 visa yet, but intend to do so soon. My question is, does anyone know if a K1 Visa will allow her to follow me to a third country like Spain or do I have to wait for the I-485 to process? Will her being a permanent resident allow her to live abroad with me? She has no plans on changing citizenship, but isn't against it if it is necessary for a specific job/us to be together.

Looking for any and all advice, even genrally related to having a foreign spouse or lateral transfer.

number9

Contributor
I don't know the answer to your specific question but you are aware that a K-1 means she has to come to the U.S. and that you get legally married within 90 days, right?

Back in the day, for non service members, K-1 visa holders were not allowed to leave the country until their status had been adjusted to lawful permanent resident. To do so before that status change required applying for and receiving "advanced parole", which was not always granted. I don't know if it's different for service members, but the K-1 rules and regulations are actually pretty strict.

She will also not be able to work in the U.S. until she receives her "employment authorization" document, which can take 3-12 months to receive.

I don't know the answer to your specific question but you are aware that a K-1 means she has to come to the U.S. and that you get legally married within 90 days, right?

Back in the day, for non service members, K-1 visa holders were not allowed to leave the country until their status had been adjusted to lawful permanent resident. To do so before that status change required applying for and receiving "advanced parole", which was not always granted. I don't know if it's different for service members, but the K-1 rules and regulations are actually pretty strict.

She will also not be able to work in the U.S. until she receives her "employment authorization" document, which can take 3-12 months to receive.
I'm familiar, the choice between K1 and CR1 VISA is going to depend on if/when/where I Det to next. I leaned more towards the K1 because it would be faster but she leans more towards tbe CR1. Reguardless the I-485 is required for both and that's what I'm worried will be required for us to settle in either Japan or Spain.

vickey0070

I'm familiar, the choice between K1 and CR1 VISA is going to depend on if/when/where I Det to next. I leaned more towards the K1 because it would be faster but she leans more towards tbe CR1. Reguardless the I-485 is required for both and that's what I'm worried will be required for us to settle in either Japan or Spain.
Hello, from what I know K1 Visa Fiance is great to bring a foreigner and intention to marry. The process is fast but CR1 is a 2 year green card which allows the married applicant to stay with the petitioner on marriage basis. If you intent to take your wife to another country, CR1 is a best option, because there is freedom to go to US or outside travel with CR1. Around 3 months before the CR1 is about to expire, apply for change of status that the union is valid. Good luck.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Happy to talk your ear off about being stationed abroad and laterally transferring. I did the Olmsted Scholarship in lieu of one flying tour and lat transferred to FAO post DH. Shoot me a PM and we can discuss specifics.