• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just got the ball rolling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Draper

I just got done talking with a recruiter about my possible future as a NA or NFO. Why did I say possible? Because like Vicki, I don't meet the minimum vision requirement for NA (as it stands now). Although, I knew this before I had talked to him. So, start the next chapter of the visually challenged...

So, for those interested...here's the latest scoop (this morning) from BUMED on PRK. BUMED is giving waivers for vision surgery (PRK only at this time) on a case-by-case basis. There is a 90 days wait after the surgery for your physical and only then can you be PQed (physically qualified). Now here is the important fine print... BUMED is only granting these waivers to the most qualified applicants. So, the question now is: How do they decide who the most qualified applicants are (and how do I become one).

And if you are interested in why I am so interested in Naval Aviation, read on. I spent a good deal of my life growing up in, no other than Kingsville, Texas (Home of Training Wing Two). In fact, my house was right under one of the flight paths. Talk about brain washing!!! Of course this was back in the T-2 Buckeye and TA-4J Skyhawk days. I was also influenced heavily by a very good friend of the family who flew A-4's, A-7's, and F/A-18's. He recently retired as Rear Admiral.

As for me...well I'm a senior Mechanical Engineering student who is attempting to follow his dreams (I should have done this sooner).

If anyone would like to share some words of wisdom, I'd be really interested in hearing from you!

Paul

p.s. Thanks John!

Edited by - Paul Draper on 12/10/2000 08:02:57

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Paul,
Congratulations on having the possibility of becoming a NA with less then perfect vision. All the services are in dire straits for aviators if they are considering that you could be PQed to fly after surgery is promising. Three years ago, you would'nt have stood a chance. I have a good friend of mine who is a Navy flight surgeon, I'll see what he thinks your chances to be PQ. He's a good resource because he is one of 11 Doc's in the Navy who have been given the opportunity to earn there wings. He's at KRock now learning the 45. (He's eyes also are less then perfect)
Let me know if your in KRock, I'll be glad to take you into the T-45 sim. Semper Fi!

Paul Draper

Frumby,

I'll let you know if I get down that way again soon. I'll be sure to take you up on that offer!

Right now, I need to find out who BUMED considers are the "Most Qualified Applicants." i.e. how do they decide?

Paul

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Vicki
Congrats! Being designated proves that there are monumental changes going on in NAVAIR. Like anything else, driving sure beats the hell out of riding. NFO's are a necessity but I'm sure they will agree with that statement.

Paul,
I spoke to my friend the Doc last night.(Little bastard is getting winged on Friday and he's heading for the Hornet FRS) He told me that waivers are being granted more frequently. I'll introduce him to this web site and he can give you the latest and greatest gouge. Vicki does have the right idea, hard work and stubborness pays off, especially when your dealing with NAMI.
Semper Fi!

Status
Not open for further replies.