• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

July 2009 DCA Board Results

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
Congrats if you are on it!

[FONT=&quot]D. DIRECT COMMISSION AVIATION (DCA):[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]NAME RATE EMPLID RANK UNIT[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]AARONSON, JUSTIN P. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]CHESNUT, JOHN J. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]CROWLEY, DANIEL P. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]HAYES, ERICA L. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]HUFSTETLER, BEAU D. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]LANGSTON, GRANT H. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]MENTEER, DANIEL E. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]NEAL, BENJAMIN E. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]REMY, CHRISTOPHER A. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]STERN, DAVID M. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]TILTON, MICHAEL W. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]WELLS, NICOLE LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]WHALEN, ADAM M. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]YANEZ, MICHAEL A. ENS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

slug

Wow, only one former warrant. Congrats guys/gals, I think you'll like your new service.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
I see a couple really good T-34 IP's I flew with at whiting. There was a bunch of them doing this when I left in 2008, cool that they got it.

GunPilot

Details

I am a former Rescue Swimmer who went army Guard to fly the longbow. I am considering going back to active duty and was looking into the coast guard. After reading everything I could find on gocoastguard.com I talked to a recruiter. The recruiter didn't seem to know any of the details concerning the program and I am looking for clarification.

Firstly, he wanted me to go back to MEPS and retake the ASVAB, and an enlistment physical even though I am already an officer, rated aviator, have a B.S., and am currently activated for deployment.

From my understanding of the package requirements for the direct commissioning board, I should only have to complete what is required in those documents and submit the package.

Also can any DOD flight surgeon with the FS specialty submit the flight physical for waiver approval?

I am on my way to the desert and I need to get straight answers before I come home and apply.

Can anyone help?

MasterBates

Wow.. I know 4 on the list, went to OCS with one, and the RAG with another. Know a couple more from my excellent adventure thru the TRACOM again.

All good dudes/dudette.

sardaddy

pilot
gun pilot. You are correct. you only have to complete what is required in the packet. MEPS and the ASVAB are not required. As for the flight physical, you don't have to get a new one, your current one will do. I'm sorry but I don't know which waiver you are referring to for the medical stuff unless it something of a personal nature. Either way, you submit your current flight physical and the USCG Flight docs will review it. If a waiver is needed they will provide it.

GunPilot

I appreciate your reply. I had a back injury during a rescue in New Orleans when I was a SAR swimmer. It was touchy getting into flight school but they approved it. I have had no problems since.

I am thinking of having PRK on my eyes. The army will let you go to a civilian, the navy won't. Do you know the CG policy?

sardaddy

pilot
Sorry, I don't have an answer for that. After an extremely heated discussion with a flight surgeon after a flight he was on with me, I made a comment to him that I have lived with ever since.

"You stick to doctoring and let me worry about the flying. I don't tell you how to treat your $%&*&^ patients." Since then, I haven't looked up a single medical flight requirement. I just let them tell me what I need to do. So I am sorry that I don't have an answer for you.

Darkhorse14

DCA Applicatant

I am applying for the DCA program and I just had my DCA interview, which went well.
My question is how many applicants apply for the DCA program and how many rotorwing positions need to be filled for this next board, or FY10

slug

After an extremely heated discussion with a flight surgeon after a flight he was on with me, I made a comment to him that I have lived with ever since.

"You stick to doctoring and let me worry about the flying. I don't tell you how to treat your $%&*&^ patients."

There must be a good story behind how you got in an "extremely heated discussion with a flight surgeon". I have never heard of anyone arguing with a Doc unless Doc told them they were grounded.

sardaddy

pilot
In a nutshell, he felt I must have a deathwish and must be a "rogue pilot" after being on a flight where I conducted a maneuver he felt was extremely dangerous and could have killed us all. So he came to my office to "evaluate" how I was feeling and if I was mentally stable. This evaluation came with his 8 years of experience as flight surgeon getting about 20 hours a year of flight time riding in the back. Mostly on vanilla patrols so he could get flight time.

What was the manuever? I "gasp" did a pedal turn in a 50 foot hover that put the nose of the aircraft directly facing a cliff about 50 feet ahead of us so I could read the ID numbers of a boat that had run aground. This was after he had told one of our pilots that his approach for landing was a bit steep and he should correct that next time. It was all I could do not to smack him and prove that I was unstable. So instead we spent about 20 minutes in my office discussing the finer points of what a flight surgeon should or should not do in his position.

slug

Yeah, critiquing a landing is a party-foul for any back seater, unless the pilot bounced the swimmer off the floor.

In the future, you may want to recommend that he act more like Doc Daneeka, who got his flight pay by putting his name on flight logs without doing anything crazy "like actually going up in a plane."

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
In a nutshell, he felt I must have a deathwish and must be a "rogue pilot" after being on a flight where I conducted a maneuver he felt was extremely dangerous and could have killed us all. So he came to my office to "evaluate" how I was feeling and if I was mentally stable. This evaluation came with his 8 years of experience as flight surgeon getting about 20 hours a year of flight time riding in the back. Mostly on vanilla patrols so he could get flight time.

What was the manuever? I "gasp" did a pedal turn in a 50 foot hover that put the nose of the aircraft directly facing a cliff about 50 feet ahead of us so I could read the ID numbers of a boat that had run aground. This was after he had told one of our pilots that his approach for landing was a bit steep and he should correct that next time. It was all I could do not to smack him and prove that I was unstable. So instead we spent about 20 minutes in my office discussing the finer points of what a flight surgeon should or should not do in his position.
Don't know how you kept from having your head explode clean off your shoulders. I've had a few crewmembers who flew Cessnas on the weekend try to give me technique pointers when I was new to flying, but never a pecker-checker share is unsolicited advice.
Dear God.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've never been sure about this - do Coasties get your flight docs from the Navy, too?

Totally offsides for the doc to critique how you fly the plane. Sounds like he had a case of the scareds and tried to rationalize it by telling you you're a deranged, unsafe pilot.

sardaddy

pilot
Our flight surgeons are Public Health Service (PHS). So they could have been docs at a prison or indian reservation before coming over to the Coast Guard.