• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Joystick and Throttle

Hey guys im trying to improve my pikot section of the ASTB does anyone have advice for a good software to buy? I just ordered a joystick and throttle but still looking for a program like the one on the exam.

Farva01

BKR
pilot
giphy.gif

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Hey guys im trying to improve my pikot section of the ASTB does anyone have advice for a good software to buy? I just ordered a joystick and throttle but still looking for a program like the one on the exam.

Yikes, grammar and spelling.

I highly doubt you're going to find one like the one on the exam. It would make no sense to make - who would buy it? If you want to develop the skills that the test is looking for aptitude in, Microsoft FSX, X-Plane 11, and Lockheed Martin PREPAR3D are all good flight simulation software.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

There is a joke in here somewhere about Mark 1, Mod 0 equipment you were built with being good enough for generations of aviators before you...

Safashton

I bought The Thrustmaster Throttle Joystick to practice on a Flight simulator. Put a couple hours of practice in. Honestly, was not helpful, at all. My joystick was easy to move, the one at the testing center felt like I was flying an aircraft without any type of assist in control movement or using a cable machine with 10 pounds on it. Not to mention the Vertical tracker and Horizontal tracker are not on the same page. In fact, their completely out to lunch at separate venues. Video games playing inverted are more likely to help you, but the inverted portion really threw me off. I felt like I was NEVER EVER on the plane during the tracking, and I still scored a 8 on PFAR. Its super awkward because both the vertical and horizontal planes are on their own program and your trying to chase them. Its ridiculous.

My recommendations

-Crush the UAV imaging parking lot portion, its easy to practice for. Accuracy and speed are important. However, in my opinion, if you brain fart, 2 extra seconds is better than a wrong answer.
-When you are doing 1 portion at a time like just vertical, do the best you can.
-Same with above on Joystick portion by itself
-Dichotic listening - Lean to the target ear, that helped me. Just get the buttons right instead of getting it wrong. Speed is important though.
-During Veridical/Horizontal and Dichotic listening portion. Just do the best you can, your all over the place, but my technique was to put more effort into the listening portion during that to ensure I got the buttons right. I did mess up a few.
-Emergencies - Write it down, practice twisting the nobs and remembering which one is which. The nobs can be in random positions, so when it actually comes up, make sure you twist it so it moves the gauge in the corresponding direction for the EP. Also, I put major priority on this, so I ensured my priority was fixing the EP as quick as possible vice flying.

Like I said, I emphasized the UAV portion, Singular practice and Dichotic portions, and EP's over the flying/tracking portion. That's just me, it worked for me, I got an 8.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UAV portion? Thank God I took the ASTB in 2000 . . .

Thube91

I bought The Thrustmaster Throttle Joystick to practice on a Flight simulator. Put a couple hours of practice in. Honestly, was not helpful, at all. My joystick was easy to move, the one at the testing center felt like I was flying an aircraft without any type of assist in control movement or using a cable machine with 10 pounds on it. Not to mention the Vertical tracker and Horizontal tracker are not on the same page. In fact, their completely out to lunch at separate venues. Video games playing inverted are more likely to help you, but the inverted portion really threw me off. I felt like I was NEVER EVER on the plane during the tracking, and I still scored a 8 on PFAR. Its super awkward because both the vertical and horizontal planes are on their own program and your trying to chase them. Its ridiculous.

My recommendations

-Crush the UAV imaging parking lot portion, its easy to practice for. Accuracy and speed are important. However, in my opinion, if you brain fart, 2 extra seconds is better than a wrong answer.
-When you are doing 1 portion at a time like just vertical, do the best you can.
-Same with above on Joystick portion by itself
-Dichotic listening - Lean to the target ear, that helped me. Just get the buttons right instead of getting it wrong. Speed is important though.
-During Veridical/Horizontal and Dichotic listening portion. Just do the best you can, your all over the place, but my technique was to put more effort into the listening portion during that to ensure I got the buttons right. I did mess up a few.
-Emergencies - Write it down, practice twisting the nobs and remembering which one is which. The nobs can be in random positions, so when it actually comes up, make sure you twist it so it moves the gauge in the corresponding direction for the EP. Also, I put major priority on this, so I ensured my priority was fixing the EP as quick as possible vice flying.

Like I said, I emphasized the UAV portion, Singular practice and Dichotic portions, and EP's over the flying/tracking portion. That's just me, it worked for me, I got an 8.
What kind of methods would you advise for the UAV because I took it last week and only got like 4 right. My scores were 2,3,2

Safashton

What kind of methods would you advise for the UAV because I took it last week and only got like 4 right. My scores were 2,3,2

So as RUFiO181 says, do a search, there is lots of materials laying around and flash cards with practice sessions.

But imagine you were standing on a big square rug that has a image of a compass on it and each cardinal direction North, South, East, and West and their corresponding magnetic headings North 360, South 180, East 090, West 270, and imagine each of these are in a box and your standing directly in the middle. The boxes represent the parking lot in which your "Imaging". So if you face heading/direction 180/south and with out changing how your facing told you to tell me where the North parking lot is in relation to you. We'll your facing south so North is directly behind you. So you would select the bottom parking lot.

Try this one, if your heading 200 or South West, where is the East parking lot? It would be down and to your left.

The paper compass trick is helpful because you draw each direction rotate it so that the direction it's telling you your heading is at the top or oriented to be the direction your facing, then look at the parking lot it tells you to image and select that one on the screen.

Thube91

So as RUFiO181 says, do a search, there is lots of materials laying around and flash cards with practice sessions.

But imagine you were standing on a big square rug that has a image of a compass on it and each cardinal direction North, South, East, and West and their corresponding magnetic headings North 360, South 180, East 090, West 270, and imagine each of these are in a box and your standing directly in the middle. The boxes represent the parking lot in which your "Imaging". So if you face heading/direction 180/south and with out changing how your facing told you to tell me where the North parking lot is in relation to you. We'll your facing south so North is directly behind you. So you would select the bottom parking lot.

Try this one, if your heading 200 or South West, where is the East parking lot? It would be down and to your left.

The paper compass trick is helpful because you draw each direction rotate it so that the direction it's telling you your heading is at the top or oriented to be the direction your facing, then look at the parking lot it tells you to image and select that one on the screen.
That's a good idea I will try that