• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Joining the Navy as a prior service Officer

Good evening, I am hoping to get some information regarding the process to become an NFO in the Navy after finishing my service obligation as an active duty (non -rated) officer in the Marine Corps.

I have a year and a half left of my service obligation and I have taken the ASTB 3 times and scored a 6/6/6 the final time. just before commissioning I learned I was ineligible to be a Naval Aviator but NAMI said I could still become an NFO. Unfortunately at that point the Marines were no longer accepting SNFOs and I decided to serve as a Marine on a ground contract. However, I very much aspire to be a part of Naval Aviation.

Should I contact a recruiter before my EAS and attempt an inter service transfer near the end of my tour? Or is it best to contact an officer recruiter after I become a civilian.

V/R

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good evening, I am hoping to get some information regarding the process to become an NFO in the Navy after finishing my service obligation as an active duty (non -rated) officer in the Marine Corps.

I have a year and a half left of my service obligation and I have taken the ASTB 3 times and scored a 6/6/6 the final time. just before commissioning I learned I was ineligible to be a Naval Aviator but NAMI said I could still become an NFO. Unfortunately at that point the Marines were no longer accepting SNFOs and I decided to serve as a Marine on a ground contract. However, I very much aspire to be a part of Naval Aviation.

Should I contact a recruiter before my EAS and attempt an inter service transfer near the end of my tour? Or is it best to contact an officer recruiter after I become a civilian.

V/R
The only issue I see for you entering the Navy as an O-3 Lieutenant, is that you will be behind when you reach your squadron and in order to be competitive for your next rank, you will need to outshine your peers immediately while learning your aircraft and your Navy ground jobs.

Your only saving grace is if the Navy takes you in as an O-2 LTJG, then you’ll have a little time to learn and compete.

https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Caree...ers-41-SWO/Career-Info/Interservice-Transfer/

Good luck.

Since you are a current, going to be prior officer of another branch you cannot apply via an officer recruiter or NRD and are ineligible to apply under the aviation program authorization. In order to become a NFO you would need to contact the aviation officer community manager and see if/or how many spots are open for your year group.

Thank you for the response. I definitely see that PA on the Navy HR website and it it clearly written. Any idea why an officer recruiter is giving me the time of day? She has not communicated I am ineligible for the program. I would like to avoid getting my stuff pushed back by the board. In the meantime I will attempt contact with the OCM although I’m not exactly sure the correct method for doing so.
V/R

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for the response. I definitely see that PA on the Navy HR website and it it clearly written. Any idea why an officer recruiter is giving me the time of day? She has not communicated I am ineligible for the program. I would like to avoid getting my stuff pushed back by the board. In the meantime I will attempt contact with the OCM although I’m not exactly sure the correct method for doing so.
V/R

Not sure, she may not keep up with the PA's, best way is to google USN Aviation OCM and it should come up and then call or email them, or both?

robav8r

None
Contributor
The only issue I see for you entering the Navy as an O-3 Lieutenant, is that you will be behind when you reach your squadron and in order to be competitive for your next rank, you will need to outshine your peers immediately while learning your aircraft and your Navy ground jobs.

Your only saving grace is if the Navy takes you in as an O-2 LTJG, then you’ll have a little time to learn and compete.

https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Caree...ers-41-SWO/Career-Info/Interservice-Transfer/

Good luck.
Yes and no. I was an O3 (LDO) when I checked into my first P-3 squadron as an NFO. After I got qualified (TC/MC/ITC), I redesignated to 1320. I went straight to the boat as a shooter after my squadron tour and eventually caught up to my year group. I'm sure even stranger stories are out there . . .

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes and no. I was an O3 (LDO) when I checked into my first P-3 squadron as an NFO. After I got qualified (TC/MC/ITC), I redesignated to 1320. I went straight to the boat as a shooter after my squadron tour and eventually caught up to my year group. I'm sure even stranger stories are out there . . .
It’s different showing up to your squadron as an O-3, but to start flight school as an O-3, then the FRS, then Fleet squadron? Timing may be an issue for the O-4 look.

robav8r

None
Contributor
It’s different showing up to your squadron as an O-3, but to start flight school as an O-3, then the FRS, then Fleet squadron? Timing may be an issue for the O-4 look.
I was an O3 at the 562nd (the entire time) and VP-30. And . . . . . I picked up O4 on my first look, but DH on my second look. YMMV obviously . . .