• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jet designation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard from some instructors that a kid had an NSS of 85. He skipped so many flights (accelerated) that his NSS shot up.

mattlowery

kmac, i was told couple weeks ago in a brief fro the Director of API that the max was 80. ?? my NSS isn't looking so hot right now in API. i just want to get through these Academics. I need good gouge for AERO II if anyone has suggestions. i hope i do better flying than trying to memorize 12 chapters of weather or academics in a few days. later!

Matt L.

Jeff

Just to emphasize, API has no baring on how well you will do in flight school. Granted those willing to work hard in API are the ones that will probably work harder in Primary. But I know many people that lived by the Eight Oh and Go philosophy in API and then rocked primary. Pump Dump and move on.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes Matt, in API I know the max NSS is 80. But I think the point that API is not Primary holds true for potential NSS scores. That being said, is it really important whether it's 85 or 80? I think not. My grades are no where near that!

kahuna

ALL,
I'm going to Vance AFB (in about 2 days) for Primary... anyone have any gouge on training up there and how you get figured back into the Navy system? In other words, how does the Air Force training affect your NSS if it does at all?

Thanks

mwilkeni

kahuna,

I finished up primary at Vance a few months ago now and am shortly going to Meridian for the advanced E-2/C-2 syllabus. Overall (and in hindsight!) it wasn't extremely bad but it definitely is a harder path for primary than going through Whiting or Corpus. The main difference is at Vance you will be working 12 hour days for a majority of your time there. You get used to it though but it does waste a lot of time; I could never study effectively in the flight room, then when you get home you study for another 4 hours or so. One good aspect of the long days is that they brought you extremely close to your classmates and there was much more of a sense of camaraderie than with the Navy system.

Be prepared for the flightline, you will start at Vance basically redoing API for 5 weeks or so, then all hell brakes loose. The first 15 days are terrible, so much to study, but things slowly get better after that.

As far as the Tweet goes, it is an awesome plane to fly. Things happen a lot quicker than they do in the T-34C so be ready. You will get to do more intense aerobatics and formation flying than the Navy primary guys will.

As far as pipeline selection, it all comes down to luck at the end. Two weeks before I finished up they changed the grading from (70% flying, 15% API, and 15% Air Force academics) to 100% flying which I believe is how Navy primary does it. You are then compared to the last 100 graduates in a roving bell curve and ranked accordingly. Unfortunately different Flights (i.e. the squadrons are divided into 10 or so Flights) at Vance are easier/harder just like everywhere else I guess, but the overall average between the 2 squadrons remains the same.

In the end, all you can do is your best, I absolutely hated Vance going through and just hoped to survive. Historically the Navy has more than average attrite or DOR out of Vance than at Whiting or Corpus. Looking back though (in my vast 2 months of experience!) two things strike me as definite pluses: #1 The Tweet is much more of a performer than the T-34C and is probably the most fun airplane I will ever have flown, and #2 The fact that you went through Air Force primary definitely is an ice breaker whenever you have to deal with Air Force pilots in the future. It gives a common bond if you will, this may sound corny but it definitely helped me in Intermediate when I was flying with Air Force instructors.

ghost_ttu

mwilkeni:

If you can remember, how many people did you have in your class? Do you remember what the selections were?

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
mwilkeni,
Any word on when Vance will take on the T-6?

Don't sweat the small stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.