• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jet bases...where are they?

MPrice07

My husband just selected Tailhook and we are headed to Kingsville. I know that there are several outcomes that we could end up with--meaning, he could select Jets, or he could end up flying E2C2s. Where do all of these aircrafts take us? Meaning, if you get P3s, then your bases where you will spend time could be (once you are in the fleet): Whidby (sp?) Island, Jax, and Hawaii. I've heard the Jet community is small?? Is that true? Basically, I am just wondering what our options are with Jets, and what our options are if he selects something else.

Thanks everyone!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
For Navy dudes, the run-down is:

Hornets
Lemoore CA
Oceana VA
*Miramar MCAS (he could do the FRS there only)

Rhino/Super Hornet
Lemoore CA
Oceana VA

Growler/Prowler
Whidbey Island, WA

E2
FRS @ Norfolk, VA
Then either Norfolk, VA or Point Mugu, CA

C2
FRS @ Norfolk, VA
Then North Island, CA or Norfolk, VA

I think that is just about it, although keep in mind he could go to Atsugi, Japan in any one of those platforms. Also, keep in mind that after living in Kingsville for a year and a half or two (assuming he continues on to phase II), just about anywhere on earth will seem nice, so I wouldn't really worry too much about it at this point. The Navy will send you all where it is going to send you.

MPrice07

So, Basically, California, Virginia, and Washington sum it up?

I'm really surprised. I thought that the Jet community would be really big--but my husband has said he thinks it's pretty small.

Oh, and thanks so much for the answer!! :)

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Have they ever considered having a few VAQ squadrons on the east coast? Or have there ever been any there?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How do you pull this one off? I was always under the impression that it was a reserves squadron...

In 1993, the Base Closure and Realignment Commission (BRAC) directed the departure of the Navy Hornet squadrons out of NAS Cecil Field and realigned them to MCAS Cherry Point NC, MCAS Beaufort, SC and NAS Oceana, VA. Before the move was complete, the BRAC Commission revised its recommendations in 1995 resulting in Navy moving two F/A-18 fleet squadrons to MCAS Beaufort and nine F/A-18 fleet squadrons and the Fleet Replacement Squadron (FRS) to NAS Oceana, VA. In March 2000, VFA-82 and VFA-86 arrived at their new home at MCAS Beaufort. VFA-82 was later disestablished in 2005 leaving VFA-86 as the sole Navy Hornet squadron. As noted in prior post, VFA-86 is now part of CVW-11, a NAS Lemoore based Carrier Air Wing. It would certainly make sense for it to be based in CA vice SC, but, alas, common sense and praciticality doesn't always rule the day.

KSUFLY

pilot
My husband just selected Tailhook and we are headed to Kingsville. I know that there are several outcomes that we could end up with--meaning, he could select Jets, or he could end up flying E2C2s. Where do all of these aircrafts take us? Meaning, if you get P3s, then your bases where you will spend time could be (once you are in the fleet): Whidby (sp?) Island, Jax, and Hawaii. I've heard the Jet community is small?? Is that true? Basically, I am just wondering what our options are with Jets, and what our options are if he selects something else.

Thanks everyone!

So you're saying he won't be selecting E2/C2? Only the lucky ones go to VAW-120!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you search, there are LOTS of questions and answers about the QOL at each of these places. There are goods and others about every place you go in the Navy; the trick is just to make the best of it.

That being said - Norfolk sucks. Believe it. :p

MasterBates

Norfolk may suck, but it is FAR preferable to K-Rock.

That being said, one of the best things about the E2/C2 community is the WORST place we can go (Norfolk) is the BEST place a VFA guy can hope to get.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Norfolk may suck, but it is FAR preferable to K-Rock.

That being said, one of the best things about the E2/C2 community is the WORST place we can go (Norfolk) is the BEST place a VFA guy can hope to get.

It's all relative and Norfolk sucks but not Lemoore suck. Hands down, as a COD, San Diego is the shit :D

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I actually like Norfolk, but I've spent almost half my career in Corpus and Krock.

Like I said, it's all relative.....Norfolk/Oceana suck IMO because I'm from SoCal.......Norfolk is better than Krock and Corpus though. As a JO with buds, it makes it easier to live in certain areas but I need some sort of life. I wanted to IP in the 45 but Meridian is the only place open for me and I'm not living there for 3 years. I almost go insane in P-cola. Norfolk is not a bad place to be, things to do, places to go. Of course it's no San Dog!