• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jarhead

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Got some good advice from a buddy of mine who was in Oki with Swafford's sister Btn and he said that Swafford's STAY Plt had the worst reputation on the island as a bunch of whiny racist slackers. Anyway, just thought I would share...

It's STA for Surveillance and Target Acquisition, not STAY

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
"...some of my officers think that STA stands for sun tan association..."

AndyK03

I guess until you've been in his shoes, you'll really never understand the way it is or was. Sadly most will never have that chance, spend some time with the lower enlisted and everyone will learn alot about the corps. So what if Swofford hated the Marines corps and wrote a book about it, so what if it was negative. If you would let one mans view help shape yours then maybe you should take a good look inside. For one to comment on what they think about what they don't know is rediculous. Sadly the movie doesn't go into more of his life as the book does to help explain some of his problems. I suppose unless you walked the same walk, or even parts of it, you'd never understand. I don't think the movie/book stretched the truth too far on life in the corps...for a junior enlisted grunt that is. Not every Marines is moto, and not every Marine is a turd. Chances are they fall somewhere in between.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
AndyK03 said:
I guess until you've been in his shoes, you'll really never understand the way it is or was...........For one to comment on what they think about what they don't know is rediculous (sic) .... ....

..... YEAH, ..... RIGHT, SPORT. Some things are just intuitively obvious ....

zacharyj53

There....

Were things that I liked about the movie...For you guys who have never been enlisted you will not get a lot of the movie...For one I saw many friends in that movie...By that I mean the personalities...For you guys that think that the Jamie Foxx character was out of place...You are wrong...Dead wrong...Many SNCOs are that way....Many...Overall I think they did a damn good job of the type of personalities that are in the USMC and a good job of things that goes on in the Corps...One thing that I didn't like is that it never showed aspects of the USMC that are great...But that wasn't really the point of the movie so they weren't going to be objective.