• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JAG programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingMonkey

Hi all,

I'm a former AT2 w/ 4 yrs. in who is about to graduate UCF w/ degrees in accounting and finance. I've been talking to an officer recruiter about the possibility of getting a commission, but am told that I will be shifted towards supply because of my fields of study. Supply is a great field but I'm also thinking about applying to law school in the near future. If anyone knows anything about Navy JAG programs or could direct me somewhere I could get the info for myself, I'd appreciate it greatly.

mamacat

Hello Flying Monkey,

A lifetime ago, I was Army JAG. Loved it. Loved every minute. Not as scary as flying. Much safer too.
Good luck in whatever you decide.
Mamacat.

FlyingMonkey

Appreciate the input Mamacat,

I don't think I'm qualified to fly anyway, even though I'd love to. I think I'd still have an interesting career in the military as a JAG, plus the added benefit of having JD behind my name when I retired/got out.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only reliable way to get into the JAG program is through the JAG Student Program. Talk to the recruiter about Jag Student. If you wait until you graduate from Law School you will most likely not get the job. Super competitive for Law School grads. Take less then a dozen a year nationwide last I looked.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Just to echo Wink:

Judge Advocate General's (JAG) Corps Student Program (SP) fact sheet July 2004

1. General. The Navy Judge Advocate General’s (JAG) Corps Student Program (SP) permits law students to commission in the inactive Naval Reserve while attending law school. Upon graduation and successful completion of a bar examination and the Navy officer training course, SP participants serve on active duty for four years, beginning as lieutenants (junior grade). This is our largest source of attorneys and the best way to become a Navy JAG Corps officer. For the Class Graduating in May 2005, the Navy JAG Corps will hire a total of 49 attorneys under the Student Program.

2. Eligibility. To be eligible for appointment in the JAG Corps Student Program, an applicant must:
a. be a United States citizen of good moral character.
b. be younger than 35 years of age at time of passing a bar examination and commencing extended active duty.
c. meet the physical requirements for appointment in the JAG Corps.
d. have taken the Law School Admission Test (LSAT);
e. be a law student with at least one year of school completed, attending an American Bar Association (ABA) approved school, or a graduate of an ABA approved law school awaiting admission to practice. Students who attend law school part time or intend to matriculate in a dual degree program must be within two years of completing all remaining degree requirements. For the above requirement, an ABA approved law school does not include institutions that are provisionally approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.