• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

J.A.G. Anybody?

JonDW7

Hey Guys,

I know this is my first post, but I have been a long time lurker. I was wondering if anybody here knows if you are able to select JAG out of NROTC. I know you can do doctor/dental and the Navy pays you while you go to med school, but what about law school? I am selecting here soon and would appreciate the help.

Thanks Guys.

navy09

None
It's worth asking your counselor. I've never heard of it being an option, but who knows.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm pretty sure the JAG Corps wants you to have a JD before they'll look at you. There are programs to go to law school for officers who are already in the Navy (LEP), but you likely wouldn't be elligible until your initial commitment is up.

Brett

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Check out this site.

http://www.jag.navy.mil/careers/careers/opportunities_overview.html

I had an interest in JAG awhile back and did some research. I'll pass on what I have gained from that research.

LEP seems like a good option. I'm not sure what's entailed in the SECNAVINST 1520.7

But other than that the requirements seem pretty reasonable.

2-6 years active duty service (O-1, O-2, O-3)
Passed the LSAT and applied to an accredited Law school.

Other options that I discovered while reading were the direct appointment and the student program which is for those with a law degree and those currently seeking one.

I never ran across anything relating to NROTC when researching JAG in the past.

Not sure if there are any JAG officers on the board but if there are hopefully they find your post.

Good luck.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
My Lord man, go do something fun before submitting yourself to being a lawyer. I'd be willing to bet you could cure yourself of that by volunteering to go to legal school at your first command, where ever that may be.