• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IWC Board 28JUN21

Bigg

Pro Rec IP
Hey there everyone. I know the newest Board schedule has yet to be posted publicly, but the attached document is what I received when I requested FY21's Board schedule from Mr. Celestin. For those that would prefer to not download the schedule, it has the NRC Application Due date as being 21MAY21 for the IWC Proboard, with a convene date of 28JUN21.

I've seen it on previous threads that folks have used a shared Excel sheet, and I really liked how easy that made stat comparison (as compared to scrolling through dozens of pages). I'll post one of those later today so that folks who are dropping an application for this board can start filling in their information.

Lastly, I'll post my stats/information later on tonight. Best of luck to everyone at this board!

Attachments

• FY2020-2021 Board Schedule.pdf
    50.9 KB · Views: 247

Bigg

Pro Rec IP

The aforementioned Excel sheet. Feel free to add your information. Let me know if you think something else should be added/changed.

Bigg

Pro Rec IP
I'm an AD IT1(IW/AW/SCW) who has been in for 12 years (at least by the time these applications are reviewed). I'd appreciate any insights as to how my package currently looks.

IP (#1) & SWO-IP (#2)
Sex: Male
Education: B.S. in Management Information Systems (no calculus or physics)
GPA: 4.0
OAR: 53
Evaluations: (EP, MP, EP, EP, MP. Most recent to least recent) 2020 E6 periodic, 2019 E6 periodic, 2018 E6 frocking,. 2018 E5 transfer, 2017 E5 periodic.
LOR: O6 (1820 - retired), O4 (1830 - former DH), CWO4 (728X - former DIVO). (I'm still working on getting more together).
Appraisal: O6 (1820 - active), O6 (1820 - active). (I'm still working on getting more together).
Awards: 2020 MOVSM (1st), 2020 Q3 SSOQ (and related FLOC), 2 NAMs (EOT/Spot from previous command).
Certifications: COMPTIA Security+, Network+. ISC² SSCP (provisionally passed, awaiting endorsement). USMAP Computer Programmer, Internetworking Technician, and Computer Operator.
Waivers: None.

As an additional point to the certifications, I'm currently studying for CISSP. My intention is to pass it prior to 1MAY21 before it rolls over to the ninth edition. I also know that it's tough to give a full judgement of the package without all of my Appraisals/LORs. I welcome said judgements though, as anything provided or suggested can only make my package better.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I'm an AD IT1(IW/AW/SCW) who has been in for 12 years (at least by the time these applications are reviewed). I'd appreciate any insights as to how my package currently looks.

IP (#1) & SWO-IP (#2)
you realize this will not increase your chances, IWC is the community that if they want you they will put you somewhere. If you apply for SWO-IP only but they don't have those spots they will just put you as IP, or you could apply for IP but if those spots aren't available you could end up as a CW

NevarYalnal

you realize this will not increase your chances, IWC is the community that if they want you they will put you somewhere. If you apply for SWO-IP only but they don't have those spots they will just put you as IP, or you could apply for IP but if those spots aren't available you could end up as a CW
unrelated question, wondering if you had any insight: if IP requires calc/physics courses but you don't have those courses is your package automatically passed over or would they still give it a look?

Bigg

Pro Rec IP

I'll take whatever they give me! I would obviously prefer IP, but if they decide to put me in Intel or CW, it'll be fine by me.

Bigg

Pro Rec IP
unrelated question, wondering if you had any insight: if IP requires calc/physics courses but you don't have those courses is your package automatically passed over or would they still give it a look?

The verbiage from the Program Authorization for IP reads as such regarding calculus/physics.

"Completion of calculus sequence (calculus 1 and calculus 2) and calculus-based physics sequence with a "C" grade average or greater is preferred."

It looks like it makes you more competitive to have calculus or physics courses completed, but it's not required.

exNavyOffRec

not required, however the stats of those selected over many years show 90% of those selected for IP and CW tend to have a STEM degree

Fitzou

IP (#1) & SWO-IP (#2)
Sex: Male
Education: B.S. in Management Information Systems (no calculus or physics)
GPA: 4.0
OAR: 53
Evaluations: (EP, MP, EP, EP, MP. Most recent to least recent) 2020 E6 periodic, 2019 E6 periodic, 2018 E6 frocking,. 2018 E5 transfer, 2017 E5 periodic.
LOR: O6 (1820 - retired), O4 (1830 - former DH), CWO4 (728X - former DIVO). (I'm still working on getting more together).
Appraisal: O6 (1820 - active), O6 (1820 - active). (I'm still working on getting more together).
Awards: 2020 MOVSM (1st), 2020 Q3 SSOQ (and related FLOC), 2 NAMs (EOT/Spot from previous command).
Certifications: COMPTIA Security+, Network+. ISC² SSCP (provisionally passed, awaiting endorsement). USMAP Computer Programmer, Internetworking Technician, and Computer Operator.

As an additional point to the certifications, I'm currently studying for CISSP. My intention is to pass it prior to 1MAY21 before it rolls over to the ninth edition. I also know that it's tough to give a full judgement of the package without all of my Appraisals/LORs. I welcome said judgements though, as anything provided or suggested can only make my package better.

Your package is similar to mine and I was selected.

What commands have you been to and do you have any high level qualifications such as JFTOC?

Also why did it take you so long to make IT1?

Bigg

Pro Rec IP
Your package is similar to mine and I was selected.

What commands have you been to and do you have any high level qualifications such as JFTOC?

Also why did it take you so long to make IT1?
NIOC, Aviation Squadron, NMCB, Aviation Squadron.

I'm lacking the shipboard qualifications as I haven't been able to get myself stationed on a ship, nor have I been stationed at an NCTS/NCTAMS.

As for why I took so long to make IT1, I spent about the first 7 years of my career just doing my job and going home. I didn't push myself to excel beyond my job, as it had never been made clear to me what one needs to do to excel in the Navy as a whole. It took a BU2 within a certain Battalion to really light my fire; he challenged me to do better, and provided me the kick-in-the-ass I needed to get myself rolling. I had the ability to excel within me, I just didn't know how to apply myself within the Navy. Five years later, here I am, charging hard and doing my best to lead from the front.

I also don't test very well. That made advancing tougher for me.

exNavyOffRec

NIOC, Aviation Squadron, NMCB, Aviation Squadron.

I'm lacking the shipboard qualifications as I haven't been able to get myself stationed on a ship, nor have I been stationed at an NCTS/NCTAMS.

As for why I took so long to make IT1, I spent about the first 7 years of my career just doing my job and going home. I didn't push myself to excel beyond my job, as it had never been made clear to me what one needs to do to excel in the Navy as a whole. It took a BU2 within a certain Battalion to really light my fire; he challenged me to do better, and provided me the kick-in-the-ass I needed to get myself rolling. I had the ability to excel within me, I just didn't know how to apply myself within the Navy. Five years later, here I am, charging hard and doing my best to lead from the front.

I also don't test very well. That made advancing tougher for me.
A friend of mine didn't test well, made E4 out of A school, reenlisted for E5, promotion to E6 for him at the time he made it was very easy, then took the exam for CPO like 10 times, just couldn't get a good enough score to get to board, the guy had more EP's than most would probably get in a career, he was MTS, recognized as top instructor on multiple instructor tours, etc........ finally made board and made CPO

Fitzou

A friend of mine didn't test well, made E4 out of A school, reenlisted for E5, promotion to E6 for him at the time he made it was very easy, then took the exam for CPO like 10 times, just couldn't get a good enough score to get to board, the guy had more EP's than most would probably get in a career, he was MTS, recognized as top instructor on multiple instructor tours, etc........ finally made board and made CPO

Seen this happen many times. Some of the bigger rates especially have far too much testable material imo.

Bigg

Pro Rec IP
I feel that pain. Even though it took that person an incredibly long time to advance, I hope they're proud of what they've been able to achieve.
Seen this happen many times. Some of the bigger rates especially have far too much testable material imo.
Agreed. I know I personally found it tough to study material that included subjects/material I wasn't directly interacting with or had near/available to me to operate on.

thebirdlawyer

Pro Rec Y Intel - OCS Sept. 5
Here's my stats, good luck to everyone!

Intel(#1) SWO (#2)
Sex: Female
Education: B.A. in International Business (3 calculus courses), J.D. (Law Degree)
GPA: 3.55
OAR: 58