• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I've been told 23 is too old for air contract?

Mdale

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. You want an OCC air slot. The OSA has basically told you that the OSO either A-doesn't have any, or B-the few that he has are already filled. You aren't going to bump a guy from a slot that was awarded to him. So what next? You wait until next year, or go to a different OSO that may have a slot.

The reason for my post in the first place is the fact that the OSA told me 23 year old college graduate OCC hopefuls don't get air contracts period, because they didn't go through PLC and that 23 year olds are too old. Personally, I thought he was full of shit so that's why I asked you guys for your opinion. I then asked the OSA to see the binder he had that contained OCC contracts for the previous 5 years and I saw with my own eyes that they do get 1 or 2 SNA contracts for OCC applicants a year. That's why I wanted everyone's opinion on what I can do in my situation.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I'm not sure what you are trying to say. You want an OCC air slot. The OSA has basically told you that the OSO either A-doesn't have any, or B-the few that he has are already filled. You aren't going to bump a guy from a slot that was awarded to him. So what next? You wait until next year, or go to a different OSO that may have a slot.
Sounds to me the OSA is not being very helpful and is ignoring the OP's questions. I think he would do himself a lot of good by either tallking to the OSO or finding a new recruiter.

Webb79Z28

The age requirement cutoff is the same for PLC-Air and OCC-Air. (27.5 by the time of commissioning/anything past that requires a waiver)

There really isn't a way that the OCC-Air contracts are full for the upcoming OCC classes because the earliest selection board meets in April. The individual OSO may have their own selection criteria though for people that they send to the board.

I would definitely set up a meeting with the OSO, and treat it like a job interview. (dress nice, act professional, and definitely don't mention anything about your bad experiences so far)

Also, check out marineocs.com for some great information that is more Marine specific.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'd agree that the guy sounds less than helpful. That being said, this site has a lot of answers that he is not providing you with, so in the spirit of officer-ship and not needing your hand to be held, I'd suggest you search around here and continue asking any questions that haven't already been answered. I also wonder what the hell a SSgt is doing working in an OSO capacity, but I guess that is a whole other discussion. Bottom line, keep pressing, and don't be afraid to do some of the footwork involved in this. You are still young enough to wait things out, and apply when there are more available slots, contrary to whatever the guy said. My *guess* is that he is trying to make his recruiting goals, and would prefer to get you to agree to a contract NOW rather than later when it would have a more desireable outcome for you (ie SNA slot).

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
Is there an ROTC unit at your school? When I was in ROTC the PLC and OCC guys would PT with us in the mornings and attend our weekend field meets for OCS prep. If you can work in with them that would be better than trying to PT and figure stuff out on your own.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
. I also wonder what the hell a SSgt is doing working in an OSO capacity, but I guess that is a whole other discussion.

I think we've covered that. OSO's usually have SNCOs as their assistants. Usually they just get guys in the door and assist in processing and don't act as gatekeepers to the OSO himself, who's usually a captain. They're also supposed to be up on all the rules and regulations.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I think we've covered that. OSO's usually have SNCOs as their assistants. Usually they just get guys in the door and assist in processing and don't act as gatekeepers to the OSO himself, who's usually a captain. They're also supposed to be up on all the rules and regulations.

Rog, didn't read enough of the thread I guess. I worked for a short period of time at a Navy recruiting center while I was waiting to class up @ Meridian, and things worked a little differently there wrt O candidates, so that was my frame of reference.