• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Itty bitty, teeny tiny flight school victories

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Just had a fun newbie moment yesterday. Due to plane availability and a week of med hold, I had been out of the T-6B for 20 days (and my last flight was the first in ~10ish days). On my last flight, my breaks were really bad, my landings were okay and my first PEL attempt was nasty.

Got in the plane yesterday with completely cold muscles for the thing and nailed it. Awesome pattern work, awesome PEL, best two breaks I've done yet in Primary. I had been on standby for awhile before I got picked up for that flight, so it was my first time flying around in that surreal sort of pre-sunset glare. Walked away from the flight line as the sun started to set and took a mental snapshot of a really feel-good moment.

The little victories.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Did you ride your motorcycle next to the runways while pumping your fist?

In all seriousness, good stuff. Little things like that will happen all through your flying career. Flying can be rough and you'll get beat down, but then you'll get those days where it all comes together. Just step back and remember you get paid to do this shit.

Another victory: making your IP sick.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Enjoy the little victories...they're the only kind you'll get for a while.

But seriously - those little Moments of Zen are really what make the job worth it.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
The little victories.
Feels were had.
I had a bit of a hiccup on C4204 (the last flight before the safe-for-solo checkride), had to route some paperwork for a progress check (it was RRU, I totally boned the EP's), and had to get like six signatures for my pink sheet, which was a lovely process. Anyway, it was the first time I was worried I might not make it through the program. Not a good feeling. But after a warm-up, the progress check, the re-fly of 4204, and the checkride (which I was almost certain I failed), they told me to go preflight my bird. Four days and five flights later, here's a very tired and very relieved ENS Brohe after my first (Navy) solo:

P5160009.JPG

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Izzat you, Tycho? Your photo reminded me of N/C Bee at the same stage in Primary at Saufley Field, 57 years ago (no we didn't fly in SDKs)!:eek:
(photo)
BzB
Yessir that's me, that picture was taken just last Friday. Long day, woke up around 3-ish, had a 645 brief for the checkride, and briefed the solo around 1145 for a 1300 flight.
Your plane looks strangely familiar, especially that vertical stabilizer. Would that be a T-34B, before they put the turboprop in it and made it a Charlie?

Fallonflyr

pilot
Feels were had.
I had a bit of a hiccup on C4204 (the last flight before the safe-for-solo checkride), had to route some paperwork for a progress check (it was RRU, I totally boned the EP's), and had to get like six signatures for my pink sheet, which was a lovely process. Anyway, it was the first time I was worried I might not make it through the program. Not a good feeling. But after a warm-up, the progress check, the re-fly of 4204, and the checkride (which I was almost certain I failed), they told me to go preflight my bird. Four days and five flights later, here's a very tired and very relieved ENS Brohe after my first (Navy) solo:

View attachment 13711
31 years and 16,000 hrs later, I still remember my first solo like it was yesterday....congratulations and good job!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your plane looks strangely familiar, especially that vertical stabilizer. Would that be a T-34B, before they put the turboprop in it and made it a Charlie?
Aye, that it was... we were one of the first classes to primary in the T-34B. Had a Continental 190hp "piston slapper" engine. Everyone was overjoyed we didn't have to fly & land the SNJ.:eek:
Cover on in the FLIGHT LINE AREA? VIOLATOR!!! :D

BZB, did those rules exist back in the day?
I don't think that rule applied back then, although that pic was taken on a no-fly weekend.;)
BzB

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Especially when you have the SA to preface it with a "Watch the deck" call.

I like to use my Jedi mind tricks (i.e., lack of situational awareness) to make the IP drive through the hard deck on their own. A few flights back, my IP unintentionally set me up for a nose-down unusual attitude recovery about 500 feet above the bottom of our block (in other words, just on top of somebody else's block). I, in typical Primary Ensonian fashion, exhibited all the situational awareness of a crayon, so I didn't realize it either. When he handed me the controls—screaming downward and toward 200 knots—his call sounded something like this:

"Recov—PULLUPPULLUPPULLUPIHAVETHECONTROLS." [insert lots of Gs]

"Sorry. Sort of set you up for failure on that one."

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I like to use my Jedi mind tricks (i.e., lack of situational awareness) to make the IP drive through the hard deck on their own. A few flights back, my IP unintentionally set me up for a nose-down unusual attitude recovery about 500 feet above the bottom of our blockS.

We don't make mistakes or do things unintentionally... Suck less.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I busted the hard deck by 2100 feet on a section engaged safe for solo. I just kept thinking to myself..."I can't believe he's giving me all this room to turn under him." IP in back gave me a little enlightenment and I ended up trying that flight again.

Made up for it on the refly and then fought an (OK) solo jet. Small victories.

Last edited: