• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IST Air National Guard Officer to Navy Officer

Bravos1871

Realized I potentially placed my original post in a different area, but:

Little background on my situation:

Enlisted Navy ('12 - '16)
BA & MBA
Selected for commission in 2019 and had to turn it down due to personal obligations
Selected for ANG commission and accepted it (part time)
Want to take commission from ANG to Navy for AD
Current Air National Guard Job: Aircraft Maintenance Officer (AMO)

Has anyone attempted this and how was your process? Any tips? etc. Thanks!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Didn’t you post this same question before?

Google “Navy inter service transfer” and the first response should tell you the basics.

Talk to the applicable OCM assuming you are qualified.

Other than that, ISTs into the Navy are rare-ish but they can happen. Common ISTs tend to be Navy SEALs (must be physically fit), aviation (usually already having a military aviation / flying background) and perhaps some other skill sets like cyber, medical, chaplains, lawyers, etc. Not sure where AMDO would fall here.

All other designators, they simply don’t need folks from other services or their community career path doesn’t allow for ISTs. As what some community managers say, if you wanted to be a naval officer you should have thought it through during your initial commissioning opportunity.

Bravos1871

Didn’t you post this same question before?

Google “Navy inter service transfer” and the first response should tell you the basics.

Talk to the applicable OCM assuming you are qualified.

Other than that, ISTs into the Navy are rare-ish but they can happen. Common ISTs tend to be Navy SEALs (must be physically fit), aviation (usually already having a military aviation / flying background) and perhaps some other skill sets like cyber, medical, chaplains, lawyers, etc. Not sure where AMDO would fall here.

All other designators, they simply don’t need folks from other services or their community career path doesn’t allow for ISTs. As what some community managers say, if you wanted to be a naval officer you should have thought it through during your initial commissioning opportunity.
I wish I could say that you are 100% correct with your response, but you happen to be slightly off. Plenty of career paths within the Navy allow for ISTs to occur. Every OCM I have spoken with has informed me that it is possible. I also think your assumption about the OCM quote is a little off as well as the OCM I just spoke with was completely understanding of the scenario and was more than willing to work with me. Don't put false information out to potentially discourage others.

FormerRecruitingGuru

I wish I could say that you are 100% correct with your response, but you happen to be slightly off. Plenty of career paths within the Navy allow for ISTs to occur. Every OCM I have spoken with has informed me that it is possible. I also think your assumption about the OCM quote is a little off as well as the OCM I just spoke with was completely understanding of the scenario and was more than willing to work with me. Don't put false information out to potentially discourage others.

My backing comes off annual accession plans. There are only a handful of ISTs annually.

“Possible” and “realistic” are two different things…

Additionally, with overall officer end strength going down it only makes taking additional accessions that much difficult.

I never said “don’t do it”, simply that ISTs are rare to come by.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
My backing comes off annual accession plans. There are only a handful of ISTs annually.

“Possible” and “realistic” are two different things…

Additionally, with overall officer end strength going down it only makes taking additional accessions that much difficult.

I never said “don’t do it”, simply that ISTs are rare to come by.

Off topic a little bit here, but where can you find that information? Genuinely curious.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Off topic a little bit here, but where can you find that information? Genuinely curious.

Publicly not available, but there’s discussions and working groups going on.

There’s some writing on the wall a bit with aviation accessions going down as part of the annual accession plan.

exNavyOffRec

History has shown that @FormerRecruitingGuru has the right info on IST's. The OCM's will always say it is possible but when reality shows up people see the word "possible" should be replaced with "nearly impossible". When it comes to IST to AD USN I think there has been only 1 or 2 out of quite a few that came here and asked similar questions that actual were able to do it.

I am not saying not to try, but what I am saying is that when looking at the big picture don't get your hopes up.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And how is active officer programs recruiting going? Just about 2 hours ago I spoke with an enlisted programs recruiter that said they are having a hell of a time making goal. Economy, PQs and all. If we are not making goal then maybe more ISTs will be considered. In any case, as pointed out, there are quotas and someone has to get them. Most designators don't make sense for ISTs. But both AMDO and Supply are two that can work out. That happens to be what the OP is looking at.

Bravos1871

IST to AD is impossible for SOME jobs, but not all. For instance, supply you can’t go straight into AD as a SUPPO but can go to SELRES and apply for FTS board. They are undermanned at the moment and would be able to allow a transfer into AD and SELRES per their OCM. AMDO also said they would consider a transfer into SELRES due to their community being pretty full on the AD side, so from the OCM’s it sounds like it’s a pretty doable thing.

exNavyOffRec

And how is active officer programs recruiting going? Just about 2 hours ago I spoke with an enlisted programs recruiter that said they are having a hell of a time making goal. Economy, PQs and all. If we are not making goal then maybe more ISTs will be considered. In any case, as pointed out, there are quotas and someone has to get them. Most designators don't make sense for ISTs. But both AMDO and Supply are two that can work out. That happens to be what the OP is looking at.
Officer programs aren't that bad at all, the only ones that are "behind" are SWO and Supply and that isn't due to lack of applicants, they have turned down some good people.

The rest of the programs are doing quite well, several are about halfway to meeting FY 23 goal including AMDO and a few have essentially met FY 23 goal.

Enlisted recruiting is like it always is for the USN, some NRD's struggle, some do great, some just make it. A few of the FB pages I am on that include some recruiters they said things aren't that bad and that the 25K shipping bonus was to free up summer spots for those graduating HS.

exNavyOffRec

IST to AD is impossible for SOME jobs, but not all. For instance, supply you can’t go straight into AD as a SUPPO but can go to SELRES and apply for FTS board. They are undermanned at the moment and would be able to allow a transfer into AD and SELRES per their OCM. AMDO also said they would consider a transfer into SELRES due to their community being pretty full on the AD side, so from the OCM’s it sounds like it’s a pretty doable thing.
IST to SELRES is a different animal than IST to AD, you can't compare the two.

When @FormerRecruitingGuru says only a handful it is because there are only a handful and he would know as that is the one seeing that info.

Try and see what happens, someone has to get lucky and it could be you.

Bravos1871

IST to SELRES is a different animal than IST to AD, you can't compare the two.

When @FormerRecruitingGuru says only a handful it is because there are only a handful and he would know as that is the one seeing that info.

Try and see what happens, someone has to get lucky and it could be you.
Well, without getting my hopes up entirely and without putting all my eggs in one basket, the SELRES OCM has already confirmed a spot for me. Odds that changes, probably higher than I’d like, but it’ll always be an automatic no unless you ask