• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is the Suggestion of this Dated Article Valid?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
it assumes that the hypothetical person in question had complete control of all the circumstances that they needed to succeed
It does no such thing. We all acknowledge the challenges and limitations of the current system. What it does assume is that a hypothetical officer, on average, will be able to successfully navigate the prescribed career path. It doesn’t guarantee outcomes for everyone, even if that hypothetical officer does everything within their control to remain due course. On a micro level, that seems unfair, which is a valid criticism. Makes much more sense from a policy perspective when you zoom all the way out.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree with your overall point, but maybe we should consider those who are talented and could have made it (i.e. DH selects that opted out at their 10-11 year mark) but chose to leave.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not the point of the article? Some people just don't want to DH or go to CO/XO. We lose tremendous talent. We could still find a way to filter out the wheat from the chaff, but there has to be a way to retain some of our top talent in the cockpit.

For this Jan 31st highwater, our #1 EP wants to go to the airlines and our #2 wants to leave for Federal Law Enforcement. How can we retain them? My CO charged the DH's with "show the JO's how much fun you're having," and I really do try to keep a good attitude - I still love flying - I love the ready room, I pay my mess dues and do the mandatory fun (that more often than not I enjoy), I take the ribbing from the JOs (largely deserved!), but when they see me and some of my peers staying till 2100-2200 or coming in on weekends, they don't want to do it. So, perhaps we could find a middle ground for those who don't want to promote but we retain as top talent. Some people will still want to promote and be DH/XO/CO. Let's just find a way to keep those who are in the middle ground of "talented, but not looking for increased responsibility."

Edit: I see @Gatordev made a very similar point and you responded.
I don’t disagree, but DoD appears to lack the authorities to change that. I’m simultaneously very wary about handing officer promotions and careers to Congress, particularly in its current state of affairs.

robav8r

None
Contributor
The military promotion system (all branches) doesn't care about you, and it never has. It doesn't care about your career aspirations, timeline for punching out for the airlines, wanting to spend more time with family, none of it. Some of you will "make it" and achieve your goals and aspirations, some of you will be spit out and tossed aside for the next round of contestants. The question is, what can you do about it? Be the best that you can, from day 1. Realize that the environment is constantly changing, for a multitude of reasons, some of which you can control, some of which you can't. Don't ever make the mistake of thinking Big Navy is invested in your career, family, life goals, except the part about what you can do for Big Navy.

I know this sound cynical, but you have to get your arms around the fact that you have been hired, for a set period of time, to do a job that the Navy needs you to do - now. For some, the stars will align, and you will be rewarded for your hard work and dedication to the team. Just don't become too enamoured about why you got there . . .