• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is knee surgery disqualifying?

Bubbagump1245

Hello! I am an aspiring SNA who is currently enlisted and was wondering that if having a knee surgery would disqualify me from possibly picking up a contract. It’s a knee surgery I e already had done about 8 years ago and might need it again. Is it waivable?

OscarMyers

None
I had two hip surgeries in highschool. Granted I had 10 years enlisted service before I commissioned, but I'm pretty sure if its asymptomatic and there's nothing against in in the aeromedical guide its okay. Also keep in mind, everything in waiverable if the Navy needs bodies. That being said, if you go to MEPs with an unresolved injury, you're probably gonna have a bad time.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks! Would the likelihood of getting a waiver high? Do you know if the navy needs pilots right now?
The FY 22 spots are all filled and most of the FY 23 spots are filled, the May and August SNA portion of the aviation board is possibly being cancelled so there is not much need at all.

The good thing is medical info doesn't get disclosed to the selection board.

Bubbagump1245

The FY 22 spots are all filled and most of the FY 23 spots are filled, the May and August SNA portion of the aviation board is possibly being cancelled so there is not much need at all.

Why're they getting canceled? Also my GPA I’m college was around a 2.65 and I haven’t taken the ASTB yet. Is my GPA gonna hurt me when trying to apply? And Is being prior enlisted helpful when submitting packages?

Bubbagump1245

Why're they getting canceled? Also my GPA I’m college was around a 2.65 and I haven’t taken the ASTB yet. Is my GPA gonna hurt me when trying to apply? And Is being prior enlisted helpful when submitting packages?

And I’m currently in a VFA squadron would that help my chances too?

exNavyOffRec

They have selected too many people, combination of COVID pushes, goal adjustments, and poor board management. It is about best qualified, which for aviation means your PFAR section on the ASTB will be a key factor.
And I’m currently in a VFA squadron would that help my chances too?
It wouldn't.

Bubbagump1245

I had two hip surgeries in highschool. Granted I had 10 years enlisted service before I commissioned, but I'm pretty sure if its asymptomatic and there's nothing against in in the aeromedical guide its okay. Also keep in mind, everything in waiverable if the Navy needs bodies. That being said, if you go to MEPs with an unresolved injury, you're probably gonna have a bad time.
Do you know if the Navy needs pilots? I had a 2.7 gpa in college and Im currently enlisted in a VFA squadron. Does having a low GPA hurt my chances of applying and being in a squadron help my chances? Im trying to get as much as I can to help myself.

Bubbagump1245

They have selected too many people, combination of COVID pushes, goal adjustments, and poor board management. It is about best qualified, which for aviation means your PFAR section on the ASTB will be a key factor.

It wouldn't.
So would you say the ASTB out weighs your GPA? How much weight does the ASTB carry?

OscarMyers

None
Do you know if the Navy needs pilots? I had a 2.7 gpa in college and Im currently enlisted in a VFA squadron. Does having a low GPA hurt my chances of applying and being in a squadron help my chances? Im trying to get as much as I can to help myself.
@exNavyOffRec gave you the boards situation and taking the time to compare stats on the forum will give you an idea of what your up against. And as is with all multi variable things. It depends. If you want it enough, the odds won’t matter and you’ll keep applying until you can’t anymore.

exNavyOffRec

Assuming no cancellations for covid, how many SNA's does the Navy plan for each year?
Normally is about 300 from OCS, but it can be more depending on how things are going with accessions. The past several years saw higher numbers from OCS.