• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is it worth getting a second degree for SNA?

Gustafel

Hey everyone, the title is a TLDR.

The longer story is I'm a 3.0 bachelor's in music. I've seen the spreadsheets and people getting picked up with lower GPAs, but with boards getting cancelled and competition probably being tighter when they come back up, would it be worth it to get a second bachelor's? Or would it be better to spend my time/money on something else?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Do you have the money and desire to go back to school to get another degree?

Or are you going to go into debt to do something that you don't really want to do but think it *might* help you get yourself a pilot slot?

If you really want to be a military pilot, apply everywhere- Navy, USMC, AF, ANG, AF Res, Army, Army Guard. That's probably a better option than going back to school.

Gustafel

Little column A, little column B.

My current degree isn't much use to me and I've been thinking of doing law school or getting a second bachelor's in computer science, anyway. Really just considering options at this point, since there's still a chance MEPS or a flight physical will find something that's a showstopper.

I appreciate the candor.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m not sure you have the time to get a second bachelors degree considering age limits. You might consider an MBA? Like others have said, apply and see where it goes.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

The longer story is I'm a 3.0 bachelor's in music. I've seen the spreadsheets and people getting picked up with lower GPAs, but with boards getting cancelled and competition probably being tighter when they come back up, would it be worth it to get a second bachelor's? Or would it be better to spend my time/money on something else?

Your assumption about boards being more competitive isn’t accurate.

Just study and do well on the ASTB. If you don’t get selected either improve your ASTB or consider pursuing a masters.

How'd you do on your Astb? If you did just average , I'd focus on that. If you did great and don't want to retake, maybe look into a masters or getting flight experience. I think you can also take more classes just to boost your GPA, but I dont really think that will be a deciding factor in selection.

bcal

I would not spend money for a second degree. If I were you, I would spend money taking flight lessons and pursue a Private Pilot Certificate. In the November board over half of those selected had flight experience.

exNavyOffRec

I would not spend money for a second degree. If I were you, I would spend money taking flight lessons and pursue a Private Pilot Certificate. In the November board over half of those selected had flight experience.
ASTB is really all that matters, the scores are the only thing over time that has held up as to being the best predictor. the question @carviator asked is the most relevant one.

bcal

ASTB is really all that matters, the scores are the only thing over time that has held up as to being the best predictor. the question @carviator asked is the most relevant one.
Yea , I agree, I was just recommending money spent pursuing flight licenses/certificates is a lot more valuable than pursuing a second degree. IMO

Astro_Rekt

I was looking at getting a second bachelors in CS if I hadn't gotten picked up. I took a few classes towards it and stopped as soon as I left for OCS. If your current degree isn't doing anything for you anyway, it might not be a bad idea if it's what you want to do. But I wouldn't recommend doing it just in the hopes of getting selected, like people here have mentioned.