• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is it too late?

Kevin leslie

I am on the grind.
Hello, my name is Kevin Leslie I am currently in my junior year in high school I plan on Applying for a NROTC Scholarship navy option. I am worried I am running out of time for making a "package" I saw on the website you needed to apply 18 months before your first year of attendance in the program. What does this mean? Do I need to take all my ACT / SAT tests a year earlier? Its great reading about the program on websites but, I feel that actually talking to the men and women that have gone through the process would be very insightful. If anyone can help me out. I have set the goal upon myself to take the path of becoming a naval officer and I don't plan on giving up.

Renegade One

None
I am currently in my junior year in high school...I have set the goal upon myself to take the path of becoming a naval officer and I don't plan on giving up.
The world is your oyster. Go forth and slay dragons.

Some of the ORs and others on this site will give you better specifics about the NROTC process. Wish I'd had your mind-set back in the day. I didn't even consider Naval Aviation until my junior year…

...in college.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I am worried I am running out of time for making a "package" I saw on the website you needed to apply 18 months before your first year of attendance in the program. What does this mean?

I think you are misinterpreting the information. I found this on the applicant checklist on the NROTC website: "The Application submission cycle starts in the spring approximately 18 months from the beginning of the school year for which we are soliciting applications. Deadline for submitting your application is the end of January for the school year for which we are soliciting applications."

To me, that means you don't start the process until about Feb/Mar of your junior year. Once you have started the process then the deadline for completing it is by January of your senior year, assuming you are going to college immediately after high school.

As for SAT/ACT, I think taking them near the end of your junior year is a good idea. That way if you don't score as well as you want you have time to study and take them again. I'll be honest though, I don't know the current gouge for taking/re-taking the tests (i.e. if it's a good idea).

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
It's still too early for you to apply. Right now applications are only being accepted for seniors and HS graduates who have less than 30 credits. The next application window should open around May/June 2016 which is the time you should start applying. For now, focus on doing well on the SATs/ACTs, keeping the GPA high, staying out of trouble, and of course staying fit.

BPeterson93

Soon to be Naval Aviator
The world is your oyster. Go forth and slay dragons.

Some of the ORs and others on this site will give you better specifics about the NROTC process. Wish I'd had your mind-set back in the day. I didn't even consider Naval Aviation until my junior year…

...in college.

I remember when I was in high school, I had a neighbor, a recruiter, who constantly told me to apply for a NROTC scholarship. I blew him off saying I had no interest in joining, etc.

Low and behold. Junior year of college I realized that the Navy was all I wanted to do. Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose.