• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is It Possible To Take Academic Summer Classes While Doing PTC or NROTC?

JWL

What if you have a difficult major that would require summer classes to graduate in 4 years?

In that case, would be better to concentrate on the academics, getting the best GPA possible, graduate on time, and then go to OCS rather than the PLC/NROTC route?

But, do NROTC students have a better chance of getting the job they want as opposed to OCS grads?

Pags

N/A
pilot
What if you have a difficult major that would require summer classes to graduate in 4 years?

In that case, would be better to concentrate on the academics, getting the best GPA possible, graduate on time, and then go to OCS rather than the PLC/NROTC route?

But, do NROTC students have a better chance of getting the job they want as opposed to OCS grads?
In most cases the expectation is that you complete a four year degree in...wait for it....four years.

But, at least back in the day, there used to be ways you could ask for additional semesters if you switched majors, etc. I knew of plenty folks who did and extra semester or two due to course availability, switching majors, etc and asked for and received scholarship coverage. But this was 20yrs ago. Don't know what's happening these days.

During the summer it's generally expected that you'll go on your summer cruise. But if you fit in coursework around that, that also good. Due to conversion from when my school switched from quarters to semesters I needed one (1) english credit which was 1/3 of an english class. So i took a short course at my local community college over the summer instead of taking a full semester course. I was able to take that course (and read more books than I ever wanted to about english people in petticoats talking about match making) and still do my summer cruise.

velociboilerraptor

semi-adept desk flyer
Short answer to your summer course answer is yes you can. You are not allowed to take courses if they interfere with your summer cruise. You may also take 4.5 years to finish your degree if you wish. The tradeoff is that the Navy won't pay for summer classes. You can either have them pay for summer classes or an extra semester. At my unit its almost unheard of for an engineering major to graduate in 4 years.

OCS guarantees you your service selection, but NROTC does not. NROTC is also geared towards commissioning Unrestricted Line Officers

Pags

N/A
pilot
Short answer to your summer course answer is yes you can. You are not allowed to take courses if they interfere with your summer cruise. You may also take 4.5 years to finish your degree if you wish. The tradeoff is that the Navy won't pay for summer classes. You can either have them pay for summer classes or an extra semester. At my unit its almost unheard of for an engineering major to graduate in 4 years.

OCS guarantees you your service selection, but NROTC does not. NROTC is also geared towards commissioning Unrestricted Line Officers
While NROTC does not guarantee you your service selection the unit usually works hard to get folks what they want. I never knew of someone who didn't get what they wanted and had the grades for. When the Nuke community tried to draft me my unit worked to keep me in aviation.

My personal view after years in this site is that it's far more competitive to get in via OCS than NROTC. If you're in NROTC you'll a commission with grades that would get you laughed out of a recruiters office.

JWL

Thanks for the info. What unit is this, please?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I did second semester physics at a local state school over the summer that was waaaaaaaaaaaay easier than Vandy to avoid more GPA damage. I just worked with my ROTC unit to ensure summer cruise de conflicted.

JWL

I did second semester physics at a local state school over the summer that was waaaaaaaaaaaay easier than Vandy to avoid more GPA damage. I just worked with my ROTC unit to ensure summer cruise de conflicted.
Thanks. Good to know that you were able to do both the class and the cruise over the summer.