• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is it common to switch from flying different planes in the navy? Like switching from ea-18g to fa-18f?

Notatomcruisefan

Hey everyone I just got my OCS date and was just curious how people switched between aircrafts? I know some pilots flew f-18s and now fly f-35s but I wasn’t sure how common it was to fly to different planes in the navy.

Zumbahnhof

I wanna go fast
pilot
Contributor
Generally speaking it's pretty uncommon to change platforms. The main exception to this is if your current aircraft is phased out, in which case you'll most likely transition to the replacement. Outside of that you can submit a package to change platforms, but from what I hear those are pretty competitive and are very timing-sensitive.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Generally speaking it's pretty uncommon to change platforms. The main exception to this is if your current aircraft is phased out, in which case you'll most likely transition to the replacement. Outside of that you can submit a package to change platforms, but from what I hear those are pretty competitive and are very timing-sensitive.

In addition to being competitive and timing-sensitive, if you changing your warfare specialty, say from Maritime (P-8) to VFA (F-18) then you will incur another 5 years of obligated service after completion of training. That is to say completion of the FRS in whatever platform you are transitioning to.

See attached MILSPERSMAN 1542 for more information.

Attachments

• 1542-020.pdf
    98.7 KB · Views: 9

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's not normally done, but there are outliers and exceptions. One of my students was an F/A-18F pilot and upon completing his fleet tour, he went to the EA-18G Growler Fleet Replacement Squadron as an instructor for his shore tour. Luck, timing, needs of the Navy, etc., all played a role in this happening.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
As already mentioned, it is not common. But, I managed to fly SH-60Bs, SH-60Fs and HH-60Hs in the Navy without ever actually changing communities. Rules and policies have changed (or so I am told), so it would be much more difficult to do the same these days.

In the Army? A different story. As we transitioned to the 60M, I kept current and qualified in the UH-60A, UH-60L, UH-60M, and HH-60M for about 2 years. After that there was some reason or another every year and a half or so for me to regain currency in the 60A/L. But for us, it was just a currency flight of 1-2 hours. My least favorite was getting a refresher flight in the UH-60A, after not having flown one for 2 years, and going straight out to the UH-60A instructor course. THAT was not fun. Imagine being evaluated as an instructor in an aircraft you hadn't flown in 2 years, with a completely different (yet similar) -10 (NATOPS manual).

At this point, after having not flown an A/L in more than 5 years, I doubt any ATP commander would set me loose in an A/L after only a 2.0 hr refresher flight. However, switching from the UH-60M to the HH-60M is seamless. I do that about once a week. No refresher flight required.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Pretty uneventful in the AF. They have special syllabi at the FTU (Formal Training Unit, i.e. FRS) specifically to convert Aircraft Commanders from one platform into another. My C-130 buddy is doing that course right now to swap over to tankers. We have converted a lot of guys from other platforms through this syllabi. We've got U-2, HH-60G, MH-60S, AV-8B, MH-53, E-2, E-3, A-10, F-15, KC-10, etc....it's too bad the Navy makes it so hard to go between communities because I would have been a badass blimp pilot ?

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
I probably would've picked up another fleet platform had I stayed in and gone the distance in the navy. Which is to say I would've stayed Helos, but would've switched over to the 60S as the 46D was sundowned. Switching aircraft/platforms isn't the big deal in switching...it's the switch of communities that is a big, fat hairy deal. In my case, same community...no biggie. Switching communities seems a much riskier prospect for the individual from a career POV.

For the record, @RedFive , it's a dirigible or balloon, not a blimp you uncouth mongrel. ;) ?

Also for the record, the dirigible wings are pretty cool.

Last edited:

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
For the record, it's a dirigible or balloon, not a blimp you uncouth mongrel. ;) ?

Also for the record, the dirigible wings are pretty cool.

I prefer the term Non-Rigid Airship, haha. I've always thought those wings were basically the Navy's way of saying dirigible/blimp/airship/balloon pilots were only half a pilot. No offence to any of you old blimp pilots floating around ?

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
There I was...I had a bead on the other balloon, ahem, dirigible, when a bogey broke through the clouds at my six. I set my sandwich down, took a long sip of my coffee and put out my cigarette, then eased the throttles forward. The blimp, I mean dirigible, lurched forward with acceleration. My coffee steadfastly secure on the chart table, I circled tightly, sacrificing caffeine for turn rate. Oh the humanity!!!

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I swept in from on high, sun at my back to obscure my attack on the enemy dirigible blimp airship who had a bead on my wingman. My navigator, spotting through his telescope, could see the scumbag put his sandwich down as he turned to spot us! Unfortunately, the size of our craft obscured the sun like an eclipse, making it easy for them to spot us! We readied our bolt action rifles and molotovs for combat!!!

God damn I need to get back to DTS ?