• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GOUGE Is IDTT Mandatory to CAI units?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Has anyone here actually read the RESPERS M-1001.5? If your unit requires you to drill quarterly, then you have to f*g travel to drill quarterly. This is clearly stated in JOAPPLY billet thingy.

RESPERSMAN 1300-040
Screen-Shot-2020-01-08-at-19-02-51.jpg

reference (a) COMNAVRESFOR NOTICE 1001
Screen-Shot-2020-01-08-at-19-03-47.jpg

reference (b) RESPERSMAN 1300-060
Screen-Shot-2020-01-08-at-19-10-24.jpg

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's all well and good, but it also assumes there's actual IDTT funding available. Something that seemed to improved since when I needed it, and also something that was OSO (or community PM for CNAFR) dependent. As in, how hard does the PM want to work on moving the money. Admittedly, this was a PM-specific issue that apparently I still have night-sweats about.

(kidding...kind of)

subreservist

I actually enjoyed being cross-assigned! In my case, I was going to a city I like (Chicago to Atlanta; only a 2 hr flight). It was also beneficial, as I had access to 2 very large NOSC for administrative issues (they seem to specialize in different facets). Since my units supported the same mission for big Navy, I really wasn't "robbing" anyone of a manpower asset. The IDTT funding was such, that I actually reported more than the quarterly expectation (cuz it gets cold in the Windy city)!

I would think there is an abundance of funding, as most don't want to use it!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Has anyone here actually read the RESPERS M-1001.5? If your unit requires you to drill quarterly, then you have to f*g travel to drill quarterly. This is clearly stated in JOAPPLY billet thingy.
The actual application of this policy is at the discretion of the UMUIC CO. No one is going to bitch if Airman Snuffy doesn't execute IDTT unless Airman Snuffy's UMUIC CO bitches at his/her TRUIC CO asking where Airman Snuffy is at.
I would think there is an abundance of funding, as most don't want to use it!
You would think . . . but the OPSO has to ask for it, the CO has to give a shit in order to ensure the OPSO asks for it, and the OSO has to execute properly. The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

In my also anecdotal experience, COs often don't give a shit or only give a shit that the money is asked for, not used. If a unit (or unit OPSO) is lazy and doesn't grab IDTT funding immediately (by which I mean cutting requirements for all CAI before the beginning of the quarter), the OSO will fuck them and allocate that money to other units for other things. And sure, the OSO could technically go to CNRFC N8 and ask for more money if they do that. If the OSO knows how to do their job. But most will just hem and haw and bitch about how the "too hard" light just came on if it reaches that point.

snake020

Contributor
The actual application of this policy is at the discretion of the UMUIC CO. No one is going to bitch if Airman Snuffy doesn't execute IDTT unless Airman Snuffy's UMUIC CO bitches at his/her TRUIC CO asking where Airman Snuffy is at.

To my point, last CO couldn't give a crap about IDTT when I was a 2 hour flight away and raising my hand to do it.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
To my point, last CO couldn't give a crap about IDTT when I was a 2 hour flight away and raising my hand to do it.
YMMV.. Some CO's care some are clueless...

This is your best bet. If you are a NAVIFORES designator (ie, (18XX) and are not getting the support, then I would escalate it your NAVIFOR Regional leadership and potentially change units. When asked why, be brutally honest.

This is your ship to drive but you cannot be like most JO's and sit back doing nothing about it. Do not let some lazy motherf--ker who is not doing their job impact your job or career. There is IDTT money available in most cases but people have to get off their a--

Give that extra effort and you will outperform most.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There is IDTT money available in most cases but people have to get off their a--

Very true.

Just something to be aware of is that IDTT is additional funding, just like ADT, so the money can be moved back and forth. That can be a problem depending on where you are in the FY and the current flow of funding. Often a unit (or OSO/PM) is going to want to use as much of the money for ADT as it/they can for operational/training reasons, which will leave little IDTT left.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
YHGTBFSM . . . that's hilarious. I wish I had your OSO, just from the sense of humor aspect . . . or are they really a dick, and just being dickish to the CAI in this case?

We don't have as many now, but for awhile, our main problem was CNRFC giving us way too many CAI khaki. You have to actually run the unit, you know. The only people we had as local with waiver are me (Seattle area) and my recently departed CO. A few folks are from NorCal, but he did DFW to San Diego . . . which is nuts, but he is/was an airline guy holding a line. SEA to SAN is my limit; I want to bank some drill pay, thankyouveddymuch.

He has a great sense of humor, but he was also serious. If the NRUs tell the command we want more IDTT funds and the command sticks their necks out to get them only to have unexecuted orders it doesn't go over well. Especially when our west coast brothers are getting plenty of IDTT because they execute.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I think @ABMD was talking about his own unit. I think we can all agree that cross-country CAI assignments are pants-on-head stupid if you're not a flex drill unit. I mean, I have a VP at my company who lives in Pioneer Square and drills in Hampton Roads, but as flex-drill, so he's out there for a week or two at a time. Single weekends coast-to-coast are insane.

Edit:

Well, in a perfect world, the unit should be scheduling training so they can actually use you when the balloon goes up. Mine is doing a mass shipboard firefighting re-hack this spring for local and CAI. We've finally gotten sick of just what you said, having CAI come out and drink coffee, so we're trying to put together an LRTP and do productive shit.

That's exactly what I did. As Training O and A-Ops O I put together a 2 year LRTP that would allow our enlisted to get their EXW qual (pretty much required if your part of an Expeditionary unit) with-in their first 2 years. We communicate the LRTP monthly and post it all over the office and via Google Sheets. The only way they can stay on track is by coming in for quarterly 4-days and completing the basic ATs. They B & M about wanting more training, but when the rubber meets the road it's crickets. It also sends a message to leadership. As a unit that deploys people frequently do we want someone on a deployment that can't communicate or do a basic quarterly IDTT? For us, that's a quick way to be separated from the unit.

snake020

Contributor
AAR:
So I went. Left CA at 6am, arrived ORF at 10PM local.

The agenda? Drinking coffee and swapping sea stories.

I guess it's good to see what a bad unit looks like as well for context. Just got new orders so won't be doing this again.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You have just described a vast majority of Reserve units. If you want a good laugh read the unit “production report” for that weekend.
I'm impressed that you have such a deep knowledge of the vast majority of reserve units. Did you run an empirical study or something?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I'm impressed that you have such a deep knowledge of the vast majority of reserve units. Did you run an empirical study or something?
I am referring to NAVIFOR units.

I am always curious to know what people are doing and what type of tasking they have on the DWE while the active component staff are at home.